Bronx BMW Car Accident Lawyer
Each year there are thousands of car accidents in New York. Some of those accidents nvolve BMW sedans or SUVs. Whether the accident involved a BMW or some other type of vehicle, statistics should that the vast majority of car accidents are preventable as they are caused by some type of negligence. When someone’s negligence leads to a car accident, the consequences can be life-altering injuries. For example, a victim of a BMW car accident may suffer a severe blow to the head resulting in a traumatic brain injury such as a severe concussion. In other cases a victim may suffer broken bones or a back or spinal cord injury. These types of injuries involve long recovery times, with the victim being unable to work for weeks or even months. Fortunately, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you were injured in a car, SUV, or truck accident caused by the negligence of another person, it is important to contact an experienced Bronx BMW Car Accident Lawyer who will help ensure that the person responsible for your losses is held accountable through a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.Common car accident injuries
If you are in a car accident there are a variety of injuries that you could possibly suffer. The type of injury that you will suffer depends on a number of factors such as the severity of the impact and the type of accident. However, certain injuries tend to occur more than others, including the following:
- Brain and head injuries. A head injury is one of the most common injuries. Car accident victims often bang their head against the dashboard or windshield. In cases where the victim was thrown from the car, he or she may land headfirst on the hard pavement. The head injury could range from a mild concussion to a severe traumatic brain injury.
- Neck injuries. An injury to the neck is also a common injury. Even in a relatively low-speed, low-impact accident, a victim may suffer whiplash or some other type of strain to the neck. More serious neck injuries involve and injury to a disc.
- Facial injuries. In a car accident the face is easily injured when it comes in contact with an airbag, dashboard, steering wheel, windshield or broken glass. The face is cut or bruised, or facial bones are broken.
- Back and spinal cord injuries. Injuries to the back and spinal cord are common in car accidents because the bodies of victims are often tossed about and twisted. In addition, the spinal cord may be bruised or crushed. As a result, victims sometimes suffer severe back and spinal cord injuries that can lead to paralysis.
If the negligence of another driver caused the car accident that resulted in your injuries, the types of compensation that you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress.
- Property damage. The person whose negligence caused the accident may also be responsible for damage to your vehicle or other property.
- Wrongful death. Under New York law, if someone is killed in a car accident, that person’s personal representative is permitted to sue for damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. A personal representative is typically a decedent’s executor or estate administrator.
All too often victims who suffer serious injuries in car accidents lose their careers, have a diminished quality of life, and see their personal relationships suffer. A serious accident can also cause financial devastation from mounting medical bills coupled with a decrease in income. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from auto accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.