Bronx Honda Car Accident Lawyer
While there may be many cited reasons for a car accident involving a Honda, in the vast majority of cases the cited reason is a type of negligence. For example, car accidents are often caused by speeding, distracted driving, driving while impaired, and reckless driving. Each of these driving behaviors is a type of negligence. Under New York law drivers must drive in a manner such that other motorists, passengers and pedestrians and not put a risk. Failure to do so would amount to driving in a negligent manner. Negligence causes accidents. In some cases the injuries are quite serious. For example, a victim of a Honda accident may suffer a severe blow to the head resulting in a traumatic brain injury such as a serious concussion. In other cases a victim may suffer broken bones or a back or spinal cord injury. These types of injuries involve long recovery times, with the victim being unable to work for weeks or even months. However, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member were injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another person, it is important to contact an experienced Bronx Honda Car Accident Lawyer who will help ensure that the person responsible for your losses is held accountable through a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.Things to remember to do after a car accident
The steps you take immediately following the car accident may have an impact on any claim you file against the negligent party.
- At the accident scene. It is important that you immediately contact the police even if you believe your injuries are minor. The police will review the scene, interview witnesses and put his or her observations in the police report. The police report may be critical evidence in determining fault. In addition, take photographs of both vehicles before they are moved as well as the surrounding area as those photographs may show evidence of road and weather conditions. Make sure you photograph any visible damage to your vehicle as well as your visible injuries.
- Medical attention. It is always a good idea to go to the emergency room. You do not have to go in an ambulance if you do not want to. However, soon after the accident you should go to a doctor to make sure that you did not suffer any serious injury. Some injuries such as back or head injuries may not show symptoms for hours or even days after an accident. Medical records are always important in determining damage awards.
- Dealing with insurance companies. While you should contact your own insurance company to let them know about the accident, you should not speak with the other driver’s insurance company. The negligent driver’s insurance company will attempt to convince you to quickly settle the case for an unreasonable amount. Your attorney should be the one communicating with the other driver’s insurance company.
If the negligence of another driver caused the car accident that resulted in your injuries, the types of compensation that you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress.
- Property damage. The person whose negligence caused the accident may also be responsible for damage to your vehicle or other property.
- Wrongful death. If a loved was killed in the car accident, you may be able to pursue damages through a wrongful death action.
Beware that the statute of limitations in New York for car accident cases is three years from the date of the accident. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit. While three years may seem like a long time, it is not. It often takes a significant amount of time to prepare a case for court. Thus, it is important to seek legal guidance soon after the accident.
If a government entity was responsible for the accident, there are special rules that you must following when filing a claim. For example, in most cases you have only 90 days to file a claim against the City of New York, County of New York or State of New York.Bronx Honda Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that you believe was caused by the reckless driving of another person, it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experience. Not only will you be faced with physical challenges, you will also face financial challenges due to medical bills and loss of income. Compensation from the person responsible for your condition is essential to help you and your family deal with the financial burden. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in SUV rollover accidents, car accidents, truck accidents, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.