Long Island Head Injury
Head injuries can be quite debilitating. Blows to the head often lead to brain damage. Injuries of the brain causes victims to suffer from chronic headaches, dizziness, memory loss, dementia, sleeplessness and other challenging symptoms. Head injuries are quite common as victims suffer injuries to the head in car accidents, construction accidents and slip and fall accidents on a regular basis. The majority of head injury victims are children and people over the age of 65. Head injuries are not only physically challenging, they affect the victim's ability to work and provide for their families. They also have a detrimental effect on interpersonal relationships. If you or someone you care has an head injury from an accident at work, or from an accident that was another person's fault, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Long Island head injury lawyer who has the knowledge and resources to fight for compensation on your behalf.Causes of head injuries
According to statistics compiled by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, the leading causes of traumatic head injuries include:
- Falls. Whether the fall was a slip and fall, trip and fall, or construction accident, they account for nearing 50% of serious head injuries.
- Struck by object. The second most common reason for head injuries is being struck by an object. This sometimes occurs at a construct site where there is often flying debris. This is one of the reasons that the law requires construction workers to wear head protection.
- Vehicle accidents. Head trauma is also a common cause of head injuries. When a car is involved in a collision it is not unusual for the victims head to slam against the dashboard, steering wheel or windshield. In SUV rollover accidents, the SUV's roof may collapse causing serious head injuries as well as back, neck and spinal cord injuries.
- Violence. Head trauma is also caused by assaults. Victims are sometimes hit in the head with a hard object or thrown to the ground.
A serious injury, whether it is a head injury or some other type of injury, will impact your financial well-being. Not only will you accumulate substantial medical bills that your insurance may not fully cover, you may find that you are unable to work. Fortunately, as a head injury attorney in Long Island will explain, if your head injury resulted in an accident caused by another person's negligence or if it happened while you were working, you may be entitled to compensation that will help stabilize your finances.
- Medical expenses: Emergency room, hospital, outpatient treatment, surgery, blood work, MRIs, CT scans, X-rays, specialists such as neurosurgeon, prescriptions, physical therapy, and psychological counseling.
- Lost income: Missed weekly or monthly paychecks, lost benefits, missed promotions and bonuses, lost self-employment revenue, and loss of future income.
- Pain and suffering: Physical pain and mental suffering. For injuries that leave permanent damage your pain and suffering award is likely to be greater than if you completely recover from your injuries.
- Wrongful death. If a loved one dies as a result of a head injury, compensation may be available through a wrongful death lawsuit.
If your injury occurred in the workplace you may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits which include medical care and lost wages. If a loved one dies from a head injury suffered at work, certain family members may be entitled to death benefits.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a serious injury to the head, contact an experienced head injury attorney serving Long Island who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical and emotional issues associated with head injuries. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates have years of experience representing clients who have been sustained head injuries and other types of injuries in auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.