Manhattan Auto Accident
A serious car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident may leave you with a severe injury such as a back injury, neck injury, broken bones, or even paralysis. Despite the chaos of an auto accident and its aftermath, it is important for victims to understand what they must do in order to preserve their legal rights. For example, it is critical to adhere to statutory deadlines in order to ensure that any claims are not barred by the statute of limitations. If you have been injured in an auto accident immediately contact an experienced Manhattan Auto Accident Lawyer to ensure that any legal claims you have against the person who caused the accident will be pursued in accordance with New York's legal requirements.Causes of auto accidents
The most common causes of auto accidents are:
- Distracted driver: This problem is very common. Accidents can occur due to the driver using a cell phone, texting while driving, changing radio stations, or engaging in any activity that takes attention away from driving.
- Road Defects: Accidents can occur because the road itself may be poorly designed, poorly maintained, or may have debris, construction or some other hazard.
- Product Liability Faulty design or faulty manufacture of a vehicle can cause or contribute to an accident.
- Negligence: This can include speeding, following too closely, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failure to yield to the right of way, or disregarding any other traffic rule.
- Drunk and Impaired Driving: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the past decade approximately 33% of those who died in car accidents were killed in drunk driving accidents. Each year approximately 400,000 people are injured in such accidents.
On February 6, 2008, cab driver Alfonso Robles was in a car accident with another vehicle. As a result of the accident Robles suffered was seriously injured, including herniated discs at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7 with radiculopathy. Robles had to undergo multiple surgeries and was left with back pain. He was unable to return to work as a cab driver. Robles v. Polytemp, Inc., 2013 NY Slip Op 76501 (N.Y. App. Div., 2013)
Physical injury and property damages are the most obvious consequences of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, you will also likely have to deal with the financial consequences of the accident. Fortunately, the law allows victims to pursue compensation from the negligent party in a car accident in a personal injury lawsuit. Oftentimes the medical expenses are significant and are not always covered by insurance. In addition, your medical expenses will likely not be limited to the bills you incurred in the days and weeks immediately following the accident, but in some cases you may continue to incur medical expenses months and even years following the accident. Along with a serious injury comes compensable pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is not only the physical pain that you experience, but also the emotional stress that accompanies a serious injury and recovery from it. To make matters even worse, you may be unable to work for an extended period, resulting in a loss of wages. In some cases the injury may permanently affect your ability to perform the same type of work you did prior to the accident, negatively affecting your future earning potential.
The most painful of consequence of a serious car accident is the loss of a loved one. The emotional impact is indescribable. However, the loss of a loved one may also create an additional financial stress on the family as there may also be a loss of that loved one's income. In a wrongful death lawsuit you will be able to seek compensation for both the emotional and economic losses suffered when a loved one passes away as a result of another's negligence.Manhattan Auto Accident Lawyer
A personal injury case can be complicated relying on complex evidentiary issues and the nuances of personal injury law. Whether you or a loved was injured in an auto accident, motorcycle accident, or truck accident, contact Stephen Bilkis and Associates to discuss your legal options. There are strict time restrictions that you must follow in order to file a personal injury claim. Thus, it is important to act immediately. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We serve those injured in accidents in the following locations: