Manhattan Head Injury
A serious head injury or a brain injury can have permanent and debilitating consequences, forever changing the life of the victim. Head injuries can lead to a variety of temporary or permanent physical problems such as blindness, deafness, a concussion, chronic headaches, dementia and even paralysis. A head injury can be an injury to the scalp, the skull or the brain caused by trauma. According to the Centers for Disease Control each year over 1.5 million people suffer head injuries serious enough that the brain is damaged. Sadly, over 50,000 die as a result. However, many head injuries are avoidable as they are caused due to the negligent or reckless actions of another person. If you are suffering from a head injury that you believe was caused by negligence of another person, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Manhattan head injury lawyer who will help you recover compensation for your medical expenses and other losses.Causes and symptoms of head injuries
Common causes of head injuries are falls, vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, bike accidents, construction accidents, recreational and sports accidents, and criminal assaults. While victims typically know when they have suffered an injury to the head, an injury to the brain may not be as obvious. Signs that you may have suffered a brain injury include:
- Cognitive problems such as forgetfulness—particularly short term memory loss, slurred speech, confusion, and difficulty concentrating.
- Behavioral problems such as hostility, recklessness, repeating words, and laughing or crying at inappropriate times.
- Mood and personality changes such as loneliness, sadness and fearfulness
- Physical signs such dilated pupils, raccoon eyes, bleeding from the head, bruising on the head or face.
- Feeling unwell including headache, lightheadedness, queasiness, and vomiting.
- Sensory problems such as sensitivity to light or sound
A victim suffering from a serious injury to the head or brain will require extensive treatment, and may not be able to return to work for several months. Symptoms which make it particularly difficult to work are chronic, intense migraines, dizziness, and the inability to sleep. As a result of the medical bills and inability to work, many victims face financial difficulties.Damages for a head injury
Under New York law if you suffer a head injury due to the reckless, negligent, or intentional act of another person, you have the legal right to file a personal injury lawsuit naming that person as the defendant, demanding that he or she pay you damages for the injuries and losses you suffered as a result. Possible damages include:
- Medical expenses: All past and future expenses related to treating your head or brain injury including the costs of hospitalization, surgery, tests specialists, and therapy.
- Lost wages: This includes both past and future income that you lost because you were not able to work while recovering from your head injury. For example, if you missed paychecks, missed out on a promotion or bonus, or had to use sick or vacations days you can demand damages for the value of them. If your injury is so severe that you are no longer able to continue on the career path that you were on prior to the accident and have to take a lower paying position, you can demand compensation for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. This type of compensation is based on the physical pain such as chronic headaches, disfigurement such as permanent scarring, and other permanent disabilities that you have to live with. It also includes mental suffering such as depression and PTSD.
If your head injury occurred in a workplace accident such as a construction accident or a work-related car or truck accident, you may be entitled to medical care and wage replacement through your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a serious injury to the head, contact an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical and emotional issues associated with serious injuries to the head. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced representing clients who have been sustained head injuries in auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.