Manhattan Motorcycle Accident
Riding a motorcycle poses serious risks because you do not have the same protection as you do in a car, truck, SUV or other enclosed motor vehicle. Furthermore, motorcyclists are more prone to accidents from road conditions and inclement weather as well. In addition, a motorcycle accident can occur because there was a problem in its design or in the way it was manufactured, resulting in the motorcycle being a dangerous defective product. Injuries sustained from these accidents are usually serious and can include head injuries, spinal injuries, amputations and broken bones. A victim of a motorcycle accident may face permanent disabilities such as an amputation or paralysis. This may lead to the loss of a career, and financial problems. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident that you believe was caused the negligence of another person, it is important that you immediately contact a Manhattan motorcycle accident lawyer as you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.Common motorcycle accident causes
There are many reasons for motorcycle accident, but most are caused because someone was negligent.
- Distracted driver: When the driver of a car or truck is looking at his phone instead of focusing on the road and other vehicles, the result is often a collision, including a collision with a motorcycle. Drivers are not only distracted by their cell phones, they are also distracted by other devices, as well as by passengers, pets, the radio, GPS and eating.
- Road hazards: Road hazard present a bigger risk to motorcyclists than to drivers of cards and trucks. A pothole, uneven pavement, or debris can cause a motorcyclist to lose control of his bike and collide with a car or a stationery object.
- Defective vehicle: Over the years thousands of motorcyclists have been seriously injured or killed because the motorcycle was defective. For example, a recent case involved riders suffering leg burns because pipes on the side of the motorcycles had a tendency to overheat. In such cases the manufacturer of the motorcycle or the manufacturer of the faulty part can face a product liability lawsuit.
- Negligence: Negligent driving means breaking a traffic law. So, if a driver speeds, runs through a red light, drives while under the influence, or tailgates, that driver is more like to collide with a motorcycle or some other type of vehicle.
Under New York law if you are seriously hurt in a motorcycle-related accident that was caused because another person was reckless, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the at fault person and demand payment for your medical bills and other losses related to the accident.
- Medical expenses: All past and future estimated medical bills related to treating the injury you suffered in the motorcycle accident. For example, if you broke your arm in the accident, then your treatment may include x-rays, pain medication, and physical therapy. If it was a severe break, you may need surgery. In cases where the injury requires extended treatment such as in cases where the injury is an amputation or leads to paralysis, experts will be able to estimate the amount of your future medical expenses.
- Lost income: Because you may be unable to work for awhile after suffering a head injury or some other severe injury in a motorcycle accident, your finances may suffer because of the missed paychecks. You can demand compensation based on the amount of money you lost from not receiving paychecks as well as the value of benefits and other types of compensation that you lost. If you own your own business, lost income will be related to the amount of business revenue you lost because you were recovering.
- Pain and suffering. This type of compensation acknowledges that a many people who receive serious injuries experience suffering that is not directly related to out-of-pocket expenses. Pain and suffering compensation is based on constant pain, permanent disfigurement such as a loss of a limb, scarring, as well as psychological suffering such as depression, mood swings, fear, and hopelessness.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another person's negligence, the first thing you should do is seek medical assistance. You should then contact an attorney who understands both the legal issues and medical issues associated with motorcycle accidents. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates has years of experience in handling personal injury cases stemming from all types of vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents, car accidents, and truck accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.