Manhattan Premises Liability
When an accident is caused by a hazardous situation or by improperly maintained property, it is a premises liability issue. All property owners have an obligation to make sure their property is safe for everyone who might be on that property. A premises liability case can stem from a slip and fall accident on a staircase, in a pothole or ditch, or on an uneven surface. In addition, slick surfaces are also primary causes of premises liability incidents. When it comes to the workplace, business owners are also responsible for creating safe environments for their employees. A construction accident or other workplace accident can be a situation that involves premises liability. An accident resulting from these incidents can range from broken bones to a back injury and spinal injury or even permanent brain injury. If you or a loved one are suffering from an injury that was caused by a hazard on the premises of another person, it is important to immediately contact an experienced Manhattan premises liability lawyer who will explain to you the process for pursuing a claim against the negligent party.Types of premises liability accidents
Property owners must take reasonable steps to make sure that their property is safe and free from hazards. Incidents that frequently lead to premises liability lawsuits are:
- Attacks by dogs and other pets. Animal attacks can cause deep physical and psychological wounds. While dog attacks seem to be discussed most often, other types of pets such as cats, reptiles, and birds have seriously injured unsuspecting victims.
- Swimming pools. Swimming pools can present a hazard, particularly to children. Children an easily fall in and drown if the pool is not properly supervised and fenced.
- Failure to maintain. A broken stair, a frayed carpet, or a loose handrail can all cause a victim to trip and fall and suffer a serious head, neck, or back injury.
- Wet or slick floors. The most common reason that victims slip and fall in a commercial establishing is due to a wet area on the floor. In some cases it happens because the floors were recently mopped and no warning sign was posted. In other cases victims slip and fall because of a spill that is allowed to remain for an unreasonably long period of time.
- Negligent or inadequate security. If a parking lot or walkway is poorly lit, then it is easier for criminals to attack and injure unsuspecting victims.
Victims of premises liability accidents have the right to hold the property owner or manager accountable through a personal injury lawsuit. This means that you can demand that the owner, manager, or tenant of the property compensate you for your losses such as the medical expenses you incurred because of your serious injury, your lost income and your pain and suffering.
- Medical expenses: All past and future medical expenses related to treating the injury you suffered in the accident on another person's property. For example, if you fell down a staircase because of a broken step, you may suffer a broken leg. Broken bones typically require a trip to the emergency room, hospitalization, and pain medication. In some cases surgery and rehabilitation may be required. All of these expenses are compensable.
- Lost wages: If you suffer a serious injury such as brain injury because of a hazard on someone else's property, you may not be able to return to work right away. This means that you financial situation will suffer because you are not able to put in the hours at work in order to earn your regular paycheck. It may also mean that you lose benefits. Lost income is a compensable loss and you can demand that the property owner or manager pay you damages for it.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is considered a non-economic loss that takes into consideration long-term or permanent injuries or symptoms such as chronic pain and permanent disfigurement, as well as mental suffering that results in depression, sadness, loneliness and feeling fearful.
In order to pursue a premises liability claim it is important that you contact an attorney who has the experience and resources to represent you in your lawsuit. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates has years of experience handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from slip and fall accidents, trip and fall accidents, and other accidents that result from unsafe premises. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.