Manhattan Product Liability
Consumers should be able to trust that the products that they use are safe when used as intended. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Each year thousands of consumers are injured after using common, everyday products such as toys, kitchen appliances and cars. For example, consumers have been injured because of dishwashers overheating, motorized skateboards exploding, or baby strollers collapsing. Injuries that result from unsafe products can be serious. Victims have suffered brain injuries, broken bones, burns, and amputations. There have been many fatalities due to defective products. If you have been harmed by using a faulty product it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Manhattan product liability lawyer who will explain to you your legal options for pursuing damages from the negligent person or entity.Types of product liability claims
There are three types of product liability claims: manufacturing defects, design defects or failure to warn. In some instances a claim is based on more than one type of problem such as both a failure to warn and a design defect.
- Manufacturing defect: A manufacturing claim occurs when there is some sort of deviation during the manufacturing process that makes the product dangerous. For example, the wrong size bolt or screw may result in a bicycle being unsafe to ride.
- Faulty design: Some products should never have been allowed into the marketplace because the product was designed so poorly that it presented a risk of harm to consumers. Examples of this include a car that was designed so poorly that even in low speed rear-end accidents there was a significant risk that the car would explode. Several deaths were attributed to this problem.
- Failure to warn: There are products that are generally safe, but under certain conditions are dangerous. For example, a medication may help one health condition, but cause a more serious health problem in certain patients. Those patients should be described in the packaging. If a risk is not mentioned and as a result someone is harmed, the manufacturer of the product may be liable in a product liability claim.
If a dangerous product caused you to suffer a serious injury such a brain damage, a burn, or a broken bone, you have the right to demand that the manufacturer of the product pay you damages for the losses you suffered as a result of the dangerous product. In the case of an injury caused by a dangerous product, compensable losses are medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and wrongful death.
- Medical expenses: All past and future expenses related to treating your injury cause by the dangerous product. For example, if the dangerous product caused you to suffer a broken bone, your expenses may include bills related to the emergency room, hospital, surgery, orthopedic surgeons, medication, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If the dangerous product left you with a serious injury, you will undoubtedly miss work. Some victims are injured so severely that they are never able to return to work. You can demand payment for all work-related income and benefits that you lost as a result of being injured by the unsafe product. If you are unable to return to work, you can demand payment for your loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Because of significant part of a serious injury are both the physical pain and the emotional trauma. This includes chronic pain, permanent disfigurement, and psychological problems that are related to the injury.
If you were injured by a dangerous product or piece of equipment at work, you may be able to receive workers' compensation benefits which include medical care, cash payments for lost wages and vocational training.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If a defective product has resulted in your serious injury or a serious injury to your loved one it is important to contact an attorney experienced in product liability cases to ensure that your case will result in the best possible outcome. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling product liability cases as well as personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from auto accidents, medical malpractice, slip and fall accidents and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.