Nassau County SUV Accident
For the past 3 decades SUVs have become very popular. For people with kids, SUVs offer a lot of space to pack all of the gear that busy families need. For everyone else SUVs have more leg room, headroom and cargo space than traditional sedans. This makes them great for everyday errands like grocery shopping as weekend road trips. Despite their large size and their perceived safeness, SUVs do not necessarily provide occupants more protection than other types of vehicles. In fact, some argue that SUVs are in some respects less safe than other types of vehicles. Nevertheless, when an SUV is involved in an accident, the victims often suffer serious injuries such as head injuries, back injuries, internal bleeding, cuts from broken windows, fractured ribs, burns, injuries to the spinal cord, and neck injuries. If you are in need of a personal injury attorney because you have been seriously injured in an SUV accident such as an SUV rollover accident because another person was negligent, it is important that you contact an experienced Nassau County car accident lawyer to discuss your options for pursuing compensation for your injuries, including reimbursement for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and loss of income.SUV safety concerns
SUVs in general have been plagued with safety issues for years. The problem is not limited to one model or one manufacturer. The problem stems from the signature design element that also makes SUV attractive to drivers. SUVs tend to be tall and narrow, have a narrow wheel track, and have a high ground clearance. This makes them more likely to roll over during sudden turns. In fact, 37% of all SUV accidents involve rollover, compared to 19% for minivans.
Over the past 3 decades there have been thousands of deaths in SUV rollover accidents. There have also been thousands of lawsuits against SUV manufacturers and other drivers because of serious injuries and deaths in SUV rollover accidents.Pursuing compensation for injury or death
Victims of SUV accidents as well as other types of car accidents that were caused by another person's negligence have the right to demand compensation. This is the case regardless of whether the accident was caused due to negligence of a driver or due to the negligence of SUV manufacturer. The damages that you may be entitled to include:
- Medical expenses: You can demand payment for all medical-related expenses that you incurred in the past of will incur in the future associated to the treatment of your injury. Examples are ambulance fee, emergency room, hospital, doctors, specialists, chiropractor, therapists, medical equipment, medication, and in home care. SUV accidents can result in catastrophic injuries. For example, Cindy, a young mother, was driving home when the SUV she was driving was hit by another vehicle which caused Cindy's SUV to careen off the road and roll over. The roof of the SUV collapsed, and Cindy's neck was severely injured. As a result of the accident Cindy was permanently paralyzed from the shoulders down.
- Lost wages: You can demand payment for the value of the compensation you lost because you were not able to go to work while recovering. Examples include your weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly wages, bonuses, vacation pay, promotions, and sick pay.
- Pain and suffering: You can demand payment for both the physical and psychological pain and suffering you experience. Evidence of pain and suffering includes use of pain medication, visits to therapists, and testimony from friend and family about the change in your demeanor and attitude. You are more likely to received a significant pain and suffering award if your injuries are severe or permanent.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are awarded in cases where the defendant's actions were particularly egregious. For example, if the defendant purposely caused the accident in an act of road rage, the court may award punitive damages.
- Wrongful death: If a family member was killed in the SUV accident, you may have the right to sue for wrongful death.
If you are in need of a personal injury lawyer because you were seriously injured in a SUV accident, it is critical that you contact an experienced attorney to ensure that your legal rights are protected. Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates to discuss the details of your case. Our staff has years of experience successfully representing clients who have been injured in SUV accidents as well as auto accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.