New York Bicycle / Bike Accident
It is estimated that approximately 51,000 people are injured annually in bike accidents. Due to its population size alone, New York has one of the highest rates of bicycle and car accidents in the nation. It is estimated that up to 5,500 people injured in bicycle accidents in New York every year. People ride their bicycles for recreation and/or transportation but do not expect to become involved in a serious accident. Someone may innocently take their bike out for a quick ride to the corner store and because of unforeseen events, their life is changed forever. Because of the lack of protection a bike affords, often these injuries are serious and can include a broken bone, spinal injury, neck injury, head injury or even paralysis. If you have suffered injuries due to a bicycle accident, it is important to contact an experienced New York Bicycle Accident Lawyer from Stephen Bilkis and Associates. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries include reimbursement for loss of income, pain and suffering and medical bills.Common causes of bicycle accidents
While there are many factors that lead to bike accidents, common types of bike accidents include:
- Sideswipe accidents: This type of bike accident occurs when a bike is sideswiped by another vehicle such as a car or truck.
- Door accidents: A cyclist is "doored" when a driver opens the door of a parked car just as a cyclist is approaching. The cyclist collides with the opened vehicle door.
- Drive-out accidents: A "drive-out" occurs when a motorist pulls out from a driveway or side street into the cyclist's path and either hits the cyclist or the cyclist hits the vehicle as he or she does not have enough time to avoid the collision.
- Roadway defect accidents: A cyclist is injured due to a hazardous road condition such as a pothole.
Whether you are riding a motorcycle or bicycle, many of the risks are the same. As a rider, you are exposed to a direct hit from a car or the pavement if your bike goes down. By design a motorcycle or bike is not as stable as a car, because of its two wheel design. Cars and trucks are much heavier than a bike or motorcycle, if an impact occurs the bike will take the hit harder.
Road conditions can be a major factor in an accident. Being on a bike makes you more vulnerable to wet, slippery roads, bad weather, and road irregularities. A car would likely drive over a large pothole, but if someone on a bike went over the same pothole it could cause them to crash. If road conditions were a factor in your bike accident, our legal team will advise you that you may be able to file a claim against the town, county, city or state that owned and the road.Common bicycle accident injuries
There are a variety injuries that those involved in a bike accident may suffer. Only injuries that are deemed serious are compensable. Common serious bike accident injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spine injury
If you are injured in a bike accident, you have the legal right to pursue compensation from that person or entity whose negligence caused the accident. Depending on the facts of your case, the type of compensation that you may entitled to includes expenses related to:
- Emergency room treatment
- Hospital stays
- Medical procedures for injuries
- Medication and prescriptions
- Property damage such as damage to your bicycle
- Pain and suffering
- Wages lost while being unable to work
If your loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, certain family members may can pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim. The compensation that you may be able to recover includes:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills for care provided before death
- Emotional suffering caused by the death
- Lost wages and other benefits lost due to the death
While a bicycle accident may have some similarities to an accident involving only motorists, there are nuances to handling a bike accident that only an experienced bike accident attorney will understand. Contact Stephen Bilkis and Associates to discuss the details of your case. Our staff is experienced in handling claims from people injured in bike accidents as well as motorcycle accidents and car accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We serve those injured in accidents in the following locations: