New York ATV Accident
Although all-terrain vehicles are motorized and require skill to navigate, they are not regulated in the same way that traditional cars and trucks are. This leads many to treat ATVs like toys. As a result many people, including children, are seriously injured or killed each year in ATV accidents. Many of the children who are injured or killed are under 10 years old. ATV injuries are often serious. One reason that ATV accident victims frequently suffer serious injuries is due to the fact they often roll over, leading to brain injuries, abdominal injuries and neck injuries. Statistics show that negligence is the primary cause for most ATV accidents. If you suffered serious injuries in an ATV accident because someone else was negligent, as ATV accident attorneys serving New York City we can help you pursue damages against those who caused your injuries.Negligent use of ATVs
While the rules for driving ATVs are significantly different from the rules for driving other types of vehicles, one rules is the same. Operators must not operate ATVs in a reckless manner. Unfortunately, many people do not operate ATVs with care, and are in fact negligent. The specific reasons for most ATV accidents include:
- Driving on paved surface. ATVs are designed for rough terrain, not smooth, paved roads. Operating them on paved surfaces makes it more likely that the operator will lose control.
- Passenger. Most ATVs are designed for only one rider. Despite this, a second rider is often added. In many cases the second rider is a child. Adding a second rider can make it less stable and prone to roll over.
- Inexperience. Many people believe that ATVs are easy to use—much like bicycles or tricycles. The difference is that ATVs are motorized and are significantly heavier, making them dangerous if used by an experienced operator.
- Children. Because people often do not appreciate the skill and judgment required to safely operate an ATV, they allow children to operate them alone with little supervision. The results are often catastrophic. Sadly, children are victims in a significant percentage of ATV accidents.
- Stunts. It takes experience to be able to perform stunts on an ATV similar to stunts people perform on TV or at events. Attempting to perform a wheelie or other stunt without proper training or without taking proper safety precaution can have deadly consequences.
- Alcohol. It is not surprising that just like with car, SUV and truck accidents, alcohol is often a contributing factor with ATV accidents.
Injuries from ATV accidents can be life-threatening, in part because like SUVs, ATVs are prone to flip and rollover, often causing injuries to the neck and head. If your injury was caused because another person was behaved recklessly, the law allows you to hold that person accountable. You can demand compensation from that person for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. If a family member was killed in an ATV that caused by another person’s negligence, a New York City ATV accident lawyer will be able to explain the process for filing a wrongful death claim.Hypothetical
Lori climbed on the back of an ATV with her friend, Sarah. Both girls were 16-years-old. The ATV was owned by Sarah’s older brother. Sarah drove the ATV at a high speed when she lost control. The ATV flipped over and landed on top of Lori. Miraculously, both teens survived. However, Lori suffered a broken back, an injured spinal cord, and shattered bones in her wrist. Lori remained in the hospital for 2 weeks, and had to undergo weeks of rehabilitation. When the school year began, Lori was not able to play soccer as she had done for the past 8 years. Lori’s parents filed a personal injury lawsuit against Sarah, Sarah’s brother, and Sarah’s parents.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you have been injured in an ATV accident that you believe was caused because of another person’s negligent actions, it is important to act immediately and contact an experienced attorney. The New York City ATV accident attorneys representing clients in New York City at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates are experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from ATV accidents as well car accidents, truck accidents, and other types of vehicle accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.