Queens Improper Maintenance Accident
Common causes of car accidents include speeding, running through a red light, distracted driving or driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol. However, there is another contributing factor to car accidents that is unrelated to the manner in which a driver drives a vehicle: poor maintenance. No matter how careful a driver is when behind the wheel of a car, if the car is not properly maintained accidents may still occur. For example, if you do not replace worn out brakes, they may fail leading to a collision. Each year thousands of accidents are caused by improper maintenance. In some cases such accidents result in serious injuries such as a head or brain injury, broken or crushed bones, lacerations from broken glass, burns and a back or spinal cord injury. Failing to properly maintain a vehicle is an act of negligence that puts others at risk. Just as in the case of other acts of negligence such as medical malpractice, victims of car accidents caused by improper maintenance have the right to compensation for their injuries. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you were seriously injured in a car accident caused by improper maintenance, it is important that you immediately contact a Queens Improper Maintenance Accident Lawyer who will review the facts of your case and explain to you the process for pursuing compensation for your losses.Types of improper maintenance
Because of the complexity of cars and the number of parts involved, there are a number of maintenance failures that could lead to an accident. In some cases the failure may cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle. In other cases the failure may cause the vehicle to stall, putting the car a risk for being hit by another vehicle.
- Brake failure
- Tire failure
- Steering problems
- Inadequate engine care
- Problems with the battery
- Inadequate coolant
- Bad air filter
While owners of cars are responsible for maintenance, in some cases a repair shop or parts manufacturer may be liable for an accident caused by improper maintenance. For example, if a driver takes his or her car to a repair shop to replace the brakes and the repair shop does a shoddy job, the repair shop would be liable for a resulting accident.Pursuing a claim
If the negligence of another driver caused the car accident that resulted in your injuries, the types of compensation that you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses. The person responsible for the accident that caused your injuries may be required to pay for your medical expenses. This would include medical bills you accumulated prior to filing your claim as well as future medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury.
- Lost wages. Even a relatively minor accident may cause you to miss time at work. The person responsible may be required to pay the wages you lost. If you end up using earned sick days or vacation days, you may be entitled to receive compensation for those days. Furthermore, if as a result of your injury your earning potential declined, you may be able to recover damages for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Another potential source of damages that you may be entitled to receive is pain and suffering. In the context of a personal injury claim, pain and suffering refers to physical pain as well as emotional distress.
- Property damage. The person whose negligence caused the accident may also be responsible for damage to your vehicle or other property.
- Wrongful death. If a loved was killed in the car accident, you may be able to pursue damages through a wrongful death action.
Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.Queens Improper Maintenance Accident Lawyer
Poor vehicle maintenance could lead to serious injury or death. If you were involved in a car accident that you believe was caused because the owner failing to properly maintain his or her car, it is important to immediately contact an experienced car accident attorney. Contact Stephen Bilkis and Associates to discuss the details of your case. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate accidents to determine all contributing factors. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case.