Staten Island Slip & Fall
A "slip and fail" case is a type of personal injury claim that develops when someone falls and is injured on another's property. This type of case is also referred to as a premises liability claim. The incident giving rise to a slip and fall claim may happen anywhere, including on the property of a private individual, at a business establishment or on government property. Regardless of who owns the property, a property own has the legal obligation to make sure that his or her property remains in safe and in good repair. Failing to do so may result in injuries and legal liability. Slip and fall accidents are among the leading causes of serious injuries such as head, neck and back injuries, as well as broken bones. When severe injuries occur, the result is not only physical pain, but also substantial medical bill and the ability to work, leading to financial problems. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Staten Island slip and fall lawyer who will review the facts of your case and explain your legal options by holding the negligent property owner accountable through a personal injury claim.Causes of slip and fall accidents
- Liquid spills. Water and other liquids on the floor from spills, mopping, rain or snow, and broken bottles can lead to a victim slipping and suffering a serious injury.
- Falling merchandise. When merchandise falls on the floor because it was improperly stacked or because a customer fails to put it back on a shelf properly, a customer may slip and fall on it.
- Ice-covered sidewalks. During cold weather sidewalks in New York are often covered with ice or snow. It is the responsibility of a property owner to keep walkways, driveways, parking lots and sidewalks on his or her property free of ice. Otherwise a victim could easily slip and fall.
- Poor lighting. If a business fails to make sure hallways, restrooms, and other public areas are properly lit, it will be easy for a victim to slip and fall or trip and fall.
- Property in disrepair. When there is something that is broken, loose, or in some other way in poor repair, a property owner has a duty to fix it in order to prevent injuries. For example, a broken stair or a loose railing can cause a victim to slip and fall down a staircase.
Victims of slip and fall accidents can suffer a brain injury, back injury, neck injury or broken bones. Any of these injuries can be debilitating and painful. In some cases the victim's injuries will be permanent, leaving the victim unable to work and support his or her family. The best way to hold the person whose negligence caused your injury accountable is to contact a slip and file attorney serving clients in Staten Island to help you file a personal injury lawsuit. You can demand compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
- Medical bills: Serious injuries mean substantial medical bills. For example, medical expenses for a head or back injury will undoubtedly be several thousand dollars. A back or a head injury may mean treatment and medical bills well into the future. Thus, you can demand payment for not only past medical bills, but for future medical expenses.
- Loss of income: If your injury is serious you may not be able to return to work for an extended period time, resulting in missed paychecks and lost benefits. If you are have your own business, you still may be entitled to damages for lost income, based on the lost revenue due to being unable to ship orders or see customers.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering refers to not only physical pain such as chronic headaches, but also for emotional pain such as depression that accompanies and serious injury such as a traumatic brain injury.
If you are injured on another person's premises, the property owner is most likely the legally liable person. However, discuss other possible defendants with a slip and fall attorney in Staten Island. Examples other possible defendants include landlords, property managers, store managers, or workers on the property.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
To ensure you have the best chance of success in your slip and fall lawsuit, make sure that you document everything that you remember about the circumstances that led to your fall. If you can, take pictures. After you have received medical attention, contact an experienced personal injury attorney. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from premise liability accidents, including slip and fall cases. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.