Staten Island Spinal Cord Injury
A spinal cord injury occurs when a traumatic event damages the spinal cord, such as a blow or a cut. Because the spinal cord controls sensation and movement throughout the body, when the spinal cord is damaged the result may be a permanent loss of strength, sensation and function in parts of the body. The part of the body affected depends on the part of the spinal cord damaged. Because the damage to the spinal cord affects parts of the body controlled by the spinal nerve below the site of the injury, the higher the location the spinal cord damage the more of the body affected. For example, if the damage occurs to spinal cord nerves in the neck, the victim may end up a quadriplegic- unable to voluntarily move the body below the shoulders. Oftentimes spinal cord injuries are the result of a car accident, construction accident, or fall that was caused because another person was negligent. In such cases the victim has the right to demand that the negligent party pay damages to cover medical expenses associated with the injury and other losses. If you sustained a spinal cord injury due to the negligence of another person, contact an experienced Staten Island spinal cord injury lawyer who will review your case and help you receive damages that will compensate you for your medical expenses and other losses you suffered as a result of the accident.Common causes of spinal cord injuries
By far the leading cause of injuries to the spinal cord are car, truck, motorcycle and other types of auto vehicle accidents, particularly SUV rollover accidents. Other frequent causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Construction accidents. Falls from high elevations such as from scaffolds is the primary cause of spinal cord injuries at construction sites.
- Recreational sports accidents. Diving, horseback riding, gymnastics and football are among the sports that have the high risk of spinal cord injuries.
- Bullet or stab wounds. A bullet wound or stab wound that strikes the spinal cord.
While falls from high elevations during construction accidents are an overall leading cause of spinal cord injuries, falls from lower elevations are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries for victims who are age 65 or older.Types of spinal cord injuries
There are a variety of spinal cord injuries, including quadriplegia, paraplegia, spinal compression spinal contusion, bulging discs, and herniated discs. Some spinal cord injuries leave the victims with intermittent pain. Others are more debilitating and may require surgery, pain medication, or physical therapy. Still others are so severe, that the victim is permanently disabled. Examples of this type of injury include paraplegia or quadriplegia.Pursuing a claim for a spinal cord injury
If you were injured in a SUV rollover accident, a fall from a scaffold or some other type of construction accident, or a medical mistake, you have the right to demand that the person whose negligent or reckless behavior caused your injury pay you damages for the losses you suffered. In the case of an injury that affects your spinal cord, a spinal cord injury attorney in Staten Island will explain that the compensable losses may include:
- Medical expenses: Spinal cord injuries can be quite expensive to treat, especially if the injury is so severe that it leads to quadriplegia or paraplegia. In the first year alone medical expenses can amount to over $100,000. Lifetime expenses could easily exceed $1,000,000. The victim should not have to shoulder this expense. The at-fault party should.
- Lost wages: A severe spinal cord injury may mean that your mobility is limited. Even if you are not permanently paralyzed, you may not be able to return to work right away. If you are able to work again, you may not be able to perform the same duties as prior to the accident. This means that your income will decrease and your career may be derailed. You can seek damage for both your lost wages and your loss of future income capacity.
- Pain and suffering. A sometimes overlooked aspect of suffering a serious injury in an accident is the emotional toll that it takes on the victim. Both physical pain and psychological suffering are compensable losses.
Compensation from a personal injury claim is not the only possible source of compensation for victims. Depending on the circumstances of your accident and the severity of your injury, you may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits or Social Security disability benefits.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in damage to the spinal cord, contact an experienced personal attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the complicated medical issues associated with injuries to the spine. The spinal cord injury attorneys serving Staten Island at Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates are experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.