Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer
Thousands of car accidents occur every year in New York resulting in victims suffering serious physical and emotional injuries. Sadly, many auto accidents also have fatalities. Despite the chaos surrounding the moments following a car accident, it is important for victims to understand what they must do in order to preserve their legal rights. For example, it is critical to adhere to statutory deadlines in order to ensure that any claims are not barred by the statute of limitations. If you have been injured in an auto accident immediately contact an experienced Westchester County car accident lawyer at Stephen Bilkis & Associates to help ensure that any legal claims you have against the person who caused the accident will be pursued in accordance with New York's legal requirements.Causes of Auto Accidents
There are many causes for car accidents. While the causes may vary, the vast majority of accidents are preventable because they are caused by negligence.
- Distracted driver: This problem is very common. In fact, with practically every driving owning a cell phone and many using them when they should be focusing on the road, distracted driving has become one of the leading causes of car accidents.
- Road Defects: Accidents can occur because the road itself may be poorly designed, poorly maintained, or may have debris, construction or some other hazard. If a road defect led to your accident, the government responsible for the maintenance of the road may be liable.
- Product liability: Faulty design or faulty manufacture of a vehicle can cause or contribute to an accident. Every year thousands of cars are recalled for a variety of reasons. Some of the reasons are minor, but sometimes cars have manufacture or design defects that can lead to serious accidents.
- Negligence: This can include speeding, following too closely, failure to yield to the right of way, or disregarding any other traffic rule.
- Driving under the influence: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the past decade approximately 33% of those who died in car accidents were killed in drunk driving accidents. Each year approximately 400,000 people are injured in such accidents. An experienced Westchester County lawyer is well aware of the devastation that can be caused by drunk drivers and can help victims hold those responsible accountable.
Physical injury and property damages are the most obvious consequences of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, you will also likely have to deal with the financial consequences of the accident. Fortunately, the law allows victims to pursue compensation from the negligent party in an auto accident in a personal injury lawsuit. To pursue a lawsuit, contact an experienced car accident attorney serving Westchester County.
Oftentimes the medical expenses are significant and are not always covered by insurance. In addition, your medical expenses will likely not be limited to the bills you incurred in the days and weeks immediately following the accident. In some cases you may continue to incur medical expenses months and even years following the accident. Along with a serious injury comes compensable pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is not only the physical pain that you experience, but also the emotional stress that accompanies a serious injury and recovery from it. Many victim suffer serious PTSD following car accidents.
To make matters even worse, you may be unable to work for an extended period, resulting in a loss of wages and a financial strain on your household. In some cases the injury may permanently affect your ability to perform the same type of work you did prior to the accident, negatively impacting your future earning potential.
The most painful of consequence of a serious car accident is the loss of a loved one. The emotional impact is indescribable. The loss of a loved one may also create an additional financial stress on the family as there may also be a loss of that loved one's income. Through a wrongful death lawsuit you will be able to seek compensation for both the emotional and economic losses suffered when a loved one passes away as a result of another's negligence.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
Proving negligence in a car, SUV, minivan or truck accident case can present a number of complicated legal challenges. Even if you are unsure as to who was at fault in your car accident, it is important to not delay in contacting an experienced car accident attorney in Westchester County. Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Westchester County, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County, and the Bronx.