Westchester County Car Accident
Thousands of car accidents occur every year in New York resulting in victims suffering serious injuries such as a back injury, neck injury, broken bones, or even paralysis. Sadly, many auto accidents also have fatalities. Despite the chaos of an auto accident and its aftermath, it is important for victims to understand what they must do in order to preserve their legal rights. For example, it is critical to adhere to statutory deadlines in order to ensure that any claims are not barred by the statute of limitations. If you have been injured in an auto accident immediately contact an experienced Westchester County car accident Lawyer to ensure that any legal claims you have against the person who caused the accident will be pursued in accordance with New York's legal requirements.Causes of auto accidents
There are many causes for car accidents. While the causes may vary, the vast majority of accidents are preventable because they are caused by negligence.
- Distracted driver: This problem is very common. Accidents can occur due to the driver using a cell phone, texting while driving, changing radio stations, or engaging in any activity that takes attention away from driving.
- Road Defects: Accidents can occur because the road itself may be poorly designed, poorly maintained, or may have debris, construction or some other hazard.
- Product liability: Faulty design or faulty manufacture of a vehicle can cause or contribute to an accident.
- Negligence: This can include speeding, following too closely, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failure to yield to the right of way, or disregarding any other traffic rule.
- Driving under the influence: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the past decade approximately 33% of those who died in car accidents were killed in drunk driving accidents. Each year approximately 400,000 people are injured in such accidents.
Physical injury and property damages are the most obvious consequences of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, you will also likely have to deal with the financial consequences of the accident. Fortunately, the law allows victims to pursue compensation from the negligent party in an auto accident in a personal injury lawsuit. Oftentimes the medical expenses are significant and are not always covered by insurance. In addition, your medical expenses will likely not be limited to the bills you incurred in the days and weeks immediately following the accident, but in some cases you may continue to incur medical expenses months and even years following the accident. Along with a serious injury comes compensable pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is not only the physical pain that you experience, but also the emotional stress that accompanies a serious injury and recovery from it. To make matters even worse, you may be unable to work for an extended period, resulting in a loss of wages. In some cases the injury may permanently affect your ability to perform the same type of work you did prior to the accident, negatively affecting your future earning potential.
The most painful of consequence of a serious car accident is the loss of a loved one. The emotional impact is indescribable. However, the loss of a loved one may also create an additional financial stress on the family as there may also be a loss of that loved one's income. In a wrongful death lawsuit you will be able to seek compensation for both the emotional and economic losses suffered when a loved one passes away as a result of another's negligence.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
Proving negligence in a car, SUV, minivan or truck accident case can present a number of complicated legal challenges. Even if you are unsure as to who was at fault in your car accident, it is important to not delay in contacting an attorney. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.