Manhattan SUV Rollover Accident
Thousands of SUV rollover accidents occur each year. These accidents happen when a SUV tips from an upright position onto either its side or roof, often rolling several times. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 10,000 people die in vehicle rollover accidents annually. In fact, the fatality risk in an SUV rollover accident is double that of a non-rollover car accidents. Generally speaking, these accidents are due to the fact that center of gravity in SUVs is higher than most vehicles. In addition, the tire width is narrower than necessary. This poor design directly affects safety when making sharp turns. Although it is well known that SUVs have a higher rollover risk, historically manufacturers have not designed the body of the vehicle to withstand such accidents. Poor roof support, including weak framing and lack of roof pillars can lead to more serious injuries. A rollover SUV accident can cause serious injuries including head trauma, back injuries, paralysis, burns and even quadriplegia. If you have been seriously injured in an SUV accident, contact an experienced Manhattan SUV rollover accident lawyer who will review the facts of your case and explain to you the process for pursuing compensation for the losses you suffered.Causes of SUV rollover accidents
SUVs are fun to drive due to their sporty design. However, the manner in which SUVs are designed also make SUVs more likely to rollover even in relatively minor accidents. Common causes of SUV rollover accidents include:
- Speeding during turns and sharp curves- rollover may occur when the driver overcorrects steering.
- Driving and maneuvering on rural, unpaved roads, or off-road on gravel or leaves. While many SUVs are designed to handle rough terrain, rough terrain can also cause the SUV to tip and ultimately rollover.
- Poor loading of the SUV making the weight distribution uneven. This is can lead to the car tip and rollover, particularly when driving on rough terrain or when making a sharp turn
- Poorly maintained tires. If a tire’s tread separates or if there is some other type of problem with the tire, the instability can lead to the vehicle rolling over.
If you suffered a serious injury such as a spinal cord injury in an SUV rollover accident that was caused by another person’s reckless or negligent behavior, you have the right to file a personal injury claim and demand that the negligent person pay your medical bills and other related losses.
- Medical expenses: When victims suffer serious injuries, treatment often lasts for months, even years. This means that at the time that you file your claim for damages, you may not have received all of the medical bills related to treating your injuries. This is particularly true for injuries such as severe injuries to the spinal cord that result in quadriplegia, paraplegia and other types of injuries that tend to be common with SUV rollover accidents. You can demand compensation for both past expenses and estimated future expenses.
- Lost wages: Victims of serious SUV accident injuries miss work. In some cases it may be a few days, while in other cases it may be months or longer. In cases where the victim’s injure are so severe, such as when permanent paralysis is involved, the victim may not ever be able to make as much money as he or she otherwise would have. Lost income s a compensable damage and may include missed paychecks, used vacation, sick and comp time, missed bonuses, and missed promotions. In cases where the victim is permanently disabled, the victim can demand payment for loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering compensation is meant to address the that fact that along with serious SUV rollover accident injuries such as broken neck comes both unbearable pain, permanent disability, scarring, and emotional damage
Determining the cause of an SUV rollover accident may turn on complicated evidentiary issues. Thus, if you have been seriously injured in an accident it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experience. Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates to discuss the details of your case. Our staff is experienced in handling claims from people injured in SUV rollover accidents as well as auto accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.