Suffolk County Auto Accident
Each year there are nearly 300,000 motor vehicle accidents in New York State. Thousands of people suffer serious injuries in these accidents. For example, it is not unusual for a car accident victim to suffer a head injury, back injury, neck injury, broken bones, and even paralysis. Such serious injuries require visits to the emergency room, hospital stays, surgery, and rehabilitation. Sadly, nearly 1000 people in New York die each year in auto accidents. New York does have laws in place that help victims of accidents who were seriously injured and families of victims of fatal accidents. As experienced Suffolk County auto accident lawyers, we understand the difficult physical and financial position that victims often face. We are here to help you hold the person responsible for your injuries legally accountable and ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled under New York law.Causes of auto accidents
There are many causes for car accidents. For example, with a rear-end accident one of the most common causes is one vehicle following too closely behind another vehicle, otherwise known as tailgating. Other common causes of auto accidents are:
- Distracted driving. When drivers text while driving, talk on the phone, or check email, they are not focused on the road. As a result they end up drifting into other lanes or fail to respond to the movement of other vehicles.
- Road hazards. Potholes, uneven pavement or other flaws in the road, as well as debris can cause a driver to lose control over the vehicle, and cause an accident.
- Product liability. If a car has faulty brakes, faulty ignition, or faulty tires, the driver may lose control of the ability to properly operate the car, leaving to an accident.
- Negligence. This can include speeding, following too closely, driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, failure to yield to the right of way, or disregarding any other traffic rule.
- Drunk and impaired driving. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the past decade approximately 33% of those who died in car accidents were killed in drunk driving accidents. Each year approximately 400,000 people are injured in such accidents.
Physical injury and property damages are the most obvious consequences of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, you will also likely have to deal with the financial consequences of the accident. As an auto accident attorney in Suffolk County will explain, the law allows victims to pursue compensation from the negligent party in a car accident through a personal injury lawsuit. Oftentimes the medical expenses are significant and are not always covered by insurance. In addition, your medical expenses will likely not be limited to the bills you incurred in the days and weeks immediately following the accident, but in some cases you may continue to incur medical expenses months and even years following the accident.
Along with a serious injury comes compensable pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is not only the physical pain that you experience, but also the emotional stress that accompanies a serious injury and recovery from it. To make matters even worse, you may have to miss a great deal of work, resulting in a significant decrease income. In some cases the injury may permanently affect your ability to perform the same type of work you did prior to the accident, negatively affecting your future earning potential.
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be entitled to wrongful death compensation that will help pay funeral and burial expenses, as well provide family members with compensation for the victim’s medical bills, and loss of support and loss of consortium.
It is important to note that if your auto accident was work related, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
A personal injury case can be complicated relying on complex evidentiary issues and the nuances of personal injury law. Whether you or a loved was injured in an auto accident, motorcycle accident, or truck accident contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates to discuss your legal options. Our auto accident attorneys serving Suffolk County are experienced in handling personal injury cases in New York courts. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.