Bronx Spinal Cord Injury
Data released by the National SCI Statistical Center shows that in 2009, over 250,000 people suffered from spinal cord injuries. One of the most common causes of a spinal injury is a vehicle accident. Statistics show that over 41% of all serious back injuries were the result of either a motorcycle accident , car accident or truck accident. However, spinal cord injuries are also caused by falls, criminal assaults, gunshot wounds and sports-related accidents. Furthermore, there are also cases where spinal cord injuries are a result of medical malpractice. If you suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident that was caused by another person's negligence, it is important that you immediately speak with an experienced Bronx spinal cord injury lawyer who will review the facts of your case and aggressively pursue maximum compensation on your behalf.Classification of spinal cord injuries
There are several different types of spinal cord injuries. They are often classified based on the location of the injury and the corresponding vertebrae and nerves. Depending on the severity of the injury the victim could experience paralysis, problems with mobility, or back pain. The types of spinal cord injuries include:
- Cervical spinal cord injury
- Thoracic spinal cord injury
- Lumbar spinal cord injury
- Sacral spinal cord injury
Spinal cord injuries are difficult for several reasons. They can be painful, cause decreased mobility, require a lot of treatment, and can cause financial problems. According to the Christopher Reeve Foundation the costs associated with the first year of treatment and care for a serious spinal cord injury can be $300,000-$1,000,000. Each subsequent year the costs range from $42,000-$185,000. If the injury is debilitating or permanent, over a lifetime the costs will easily exceed $1 million.
It is only fair that the person responsible for injury compensate you for your physical, emotional, and financial pain. Through a personal injury lawsuit you can demand compensation for your medical expenses, your lost wages and benefits, your pain and suffering, our loss of enjoyment of life and your loss of consortium.
- Medical expenses. May include bills from doctors and specialists; hospital bills; emergency room or urgent care center fees; lab work, x-rays and MRIs; over-the-counter and prescription medication; physical, occupational and recreational therapy; counseling; wheelchair, scooter, braces, canes, crutches and other assistive technology; and in-home care. Past and future medical expenses alone can exceed $1 million.
- Lost wages. May include missed paychecks; missed bonuses or promotions that you were on track to receive; and lost benefits. May also include loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. Physical pain that goes along with a serious spinal cord injury.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. Inability to enjoy hobbies, recreation, and other activities you once enjoyed.
- Loss of consortium. Inability to have physical relations with your spouse.
Depending on the where the accident occurred, you may also be eligible for benefits from workers' compensation which includes medical benefits as well as wage replacement. Social Security disability benefits are available to injured or ill individual who are unable to work.
The processes for filing a personal injury claim, a workers' compensation claim, or a claim for Social Security disability benefits are complex. In order to ensure that your claim is not rejected and that you receive the maximum compensation and benefits to which you are entitled, it is important to contact an experienced attorney.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a spinal cord injury, contact an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical issues associated with injuries to the spine. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.