Member of:
Justia Lawyer Rating
American Association for Justice
Union Plus

Nassau County Slip & Fall

Under New York law homeowners and business are required to make sure their property is reasonably safe. This is also true for the government and the property it owns. If the owner of property does not make sure the property is safe and as a result someone is seriously hurt on that property, the person or entity who owns or maintains the property may be legally and financially liable. One of the most common types of accident that occurs on property is when someone slips or trips and falls accident. A slip and fall accident involves someone slipping on a slick spot or wet spot on the floor or pavement and suffering a serious injury such as a back or head injury. In order to win a slip and fall case courts require that the injured person show that the owner of the property had a legal obligation to make sure that the property is safe, that the property owner knew about the dangerous condition, and that the victim was injured as a result of the dangerous condition. If you are in need of an injury lawyer because you were injured when you slipped and fell on another person's property, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Nassau County personal injury attorney who will review the facts of your case and explain to you your legal options for pursuing damages.

Causes of slip and fall accidents

A slip and fall accident occurs when someone who is walking slips and falls because of a dangerous condition on the floor or pavement. While there are occasions when someone falls because he or she lost his or footing for no apparent reason, there are many other cases where someone falls due to a wet or slick surface or because there is some sort of debris of obstruction in the way. Other causes of premises accidents involving falls include broken stairs or hand rails, broken or cracked pavement, icy sidewalks, poorly lit sidewalks, staircases or parking garages.

Owners of businesses, such as grocery stores, banks and coffee shops, and private homeowners all have the obligation to ensure that their premises are safe for those who enter. The level of duty owed depends on the classification of the person entering the premises: invitee, licensee and trespasser. An invitee is someone who enters property by invitation. A licensee is someone who enters property with permission for a benefit or purpose. A trespasser is someone who enters property without permission.

The way a person is classified determines the duty of care a premises owner owes that person. For example, a landlord is required to take reasonable care in ensuring that a property is safe, and must warn an invitee of any dangerous condition. While the responsibilities are slightly different for each classification, in all cases the property owner must ensure the safety of someone who enters the property.

Pursuing a claim

If you are injured in a slip and fall accident you may suffer a serious injury and end up permanently impaired. For example, if you fall and bump your head on the pavement you may need stitches, you could have a concussion or some other type of brain injury. If you are seriously injured you can file a personal injury lawsuit and demand compensation for your losses.

  • Medical bills: A fall can lead to serious injuries such as head, back, or neck injury. Through a personal injury claim you may be able to recover expenses for medical treatment including your emergency room treatment, hospital stay, surgery, lab work, MRIs, prescriptions, rehabilitation, and in-home care.
  • Loss of income: If your injury is serious you may not be able to return to work for days, weeks, or even months. If you are permanently injured you may not ever be able to return to work. You will be entitled to recover compensation for the income you lost while recovering from your injuries as well as for loss of future income.
  • Pain and suffering: You may also be able to recover money for both the physical pain and the emotion suffering your experienced. Whether you will be entitled to receive pain and suffering damages and the amount of such damages depends on the severity of your injuries. The more severe your injuries, the more likely you will get a substantial award. If you a permanent injury such as a limp, amputation, or disfigurement from a serious burn, the more likely it is that you will receive a substantial pain and suffering award.
Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates

Injuries from a slip and fall accident can mean both physical and financial pain. If the accident was caused by another person's negligence it is only fair that that person should be held accountable and pay you damages. To ensure that your legal rights are protected, contact an experienced personal injury attorney. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from slip and fall accidents both on private property and in the workplace. Contact our legal staff at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.

Client Reviews
Great attorney helped out my family at a very hard time for us. His compassion and professionalism were greatly appreciated. Can't thank him and his staff enough for all the support and legal guidance ! Brad
Everyone was great, they created solutions to what I thought were insurmountable problems. The lawyers were prepared and clearly experienced. Thomas B.
Unbelievably easy and professional experience. Great communication and got the job done. Would highly recommend to anyone needing representation. Emily K.
Mr. Bilkis is courteous, and professional. I have had the pleasure of knowing him for many years. He is knowledgeable and hard working. Hire Stephen Bilkis for your all of your legal needs. He will fight for you and your family. Shawn S.