Nassau County Spinal Injury Lawyer
A spinal injury involves damage to any part of the spine. The spine is made up of several small bones called vertebrae. In between the vertebrae are disks that serve as cushions. The spine also referred to as the spinal column encases the spinal cord. The spinal cord is a set of nerves. Damage to any part of the spine can cause the victim to experience pain and decreased mobility. If the spinal cord is injured the victim may lose motor control and sensation in specific parts of the body that are associated with the part of the spinal cord injured. In other words, an injury to the spinal cord could leave the victim paraplegia, quadriplegia, or some other type of paralysis. When an injury to the spine is caused in a car accident, construction accident, slip and fall accident, or some other accident that was another person’s fault, you have the right to demand that the negligent party pay you for your losses. If you are in need of a personal injury lawyer because you or a loved one was injured in an accident due to another person's negligence, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Nassau County personal injury lawyer who will review the details of the accident and help you pursue a personal injury lawsuit to recover medical expenses, loss wages and other losses.Common causes of spinal injuries
An injury to the backbone is typically caused by a traumatic injury or blow. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, common causes of spinal cord injury are:
- Vehicle accidents. 42.1% of injuries to the spine occur in car, SUV, minivan, truck and motorcycle accidents. For example, Brian’s car was sideswiped by another car causing him to lose control of his car and slam into a tree. As a result of the back injury he suffered, he was left a T-10 paraplegic.
- Falls. 26.7% of injuries to the spine happen because the victim fell after slipping in a wet or oily substance, tripping on cracks in the sidewalk or over debris, or falling from heights a construction sites.
- Violence. 15.1% of spinal injuries occur during the commission of crimes such as assaults with guns or knives.
- Sports. 7.6% of injuries to the spine occur while the victim is playing amateur or professional sports, or are engaged in some type of recreational activity.
If you have a several injury to your spine, you will likely have significant medical bills. An injury to the spine can mean severe pain, difficulty in walking, difficulty breathing, bowel and bladder problems, and paralysis. As a consequence you may face substantial medical bills and the inability to work.
Fortunately, New York law allows injured victims to pursue compensation from the person or business whose negligence caused the accident. You may be awarded the following types of compensation.
- Medical bills: A serious injury to your spine means substantial medical bills. In addition from the emergency room and hospital treatment you require immediately following the accident, you may also require ongoing follow up visits, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. You may also need medication, braces, a wheelchair and other medical equipment.
- Loss of income: If your injury is serious you may not be able to return to work for an extend period of time. You will be entitled to recover compensation for the income you lost while recovering from your injuries. Loss of income includes not only loss of your paychecks. It also includes the value of sick or vacation days you had to use while recovering as well as in other type of compensation and benefits that you lost.
- Pain and suffering: You may also be able to recover compensation for the physical pain and emotional suffering that you suffered as a result of the accident. Because of the physical pain and loss of motor function that often accompanies injuries to the spine, victims of serious spinal injuries tend to suffering emotionally. Some feel hopeless, frustrated, scared and sad. Others become angry and have difficulty interacting with friend and family members.
If the injury to your spine was caused by another person’s reckless, negligent or intentional act you have the right to demand compensation. To ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available based on the facts of your case, it is important that you contact an experienced attorney. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in successfully representing injured clients in cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, construction accidents and other types of accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.