Queens Head Injury
According to the Centers for Disease Control each year nearly 2 million people suffer serious head injuries and over 50,000 dies from head injuries. Many of those that do survive their head injuries end up permanently disabled. Head injuries are caused by variety of accidents, many of which occur in the workplace, such as crane accidents or other accidents at construction sites. Others suffer head injuries after falling because a spill on the floor in a restaurant or store has not been cleaned, or because of a sidewalk that is in disrepair. In still other cases a football player suffers a concussion after a hard hit. Victims of head injuries experience a variety of health problems such as concussion, chronic headaches, memory loss, dementia, paralysis and even blindness or deafness. A head injury can mean that not only will the victim deal with physical pain and other physical difficulties, the victim may also face financial difficulties from substantial medical bills. If you or someone you care about is suffering from a head injury caused by the negligence of another person, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Queens personal injury attorney who will help you recover compensation for your losses.Causes of head injuries
Injuries to the head can be caused by a variety of accidents as well as by intentional acts.
- Falls. Slip and fall accidents account for the majority of head injuries. Oftentimes a spill on floor, ice on the pavement, debris in a store aisle or a broken pavement leads victims to slip and fall or trip and fall, banging the head on the hard surface.
- Auto accidents. Car, SUV, minivan and truck accidents are another leading cause of head injuries. When cars collide or when a car crashes into a barrier, pole or tree, those inside of the vehicle are tossed about or are ejected from the vehicle. This leads to head and brain injuries, as well as to other serious injuries.
- Construction accidents. Accidents at construction sites are often caused by a worker falling from a high elevation or someone being hit by flying debris or heavy machinery. As a result head injuries occur on a fairly regular basis in the construction industry.
- Sports injuries. Athletes who play contact sports such as football, rugby, and wrestling suffer a variety of injuries including head injuries such as concussions.
- Assaults. Physical assaults leave victims with injuries including injuries to the head. Victims are sometimes hit in the head with fists, bats, and other dangerous instruments. Assailants also frequently push victims to the ground causing the victim’s head to hit hard pavement. In both cases victims sometimes suffer fractured skulls, cuts, concussions and other types of head or brain injuries.
Injuries to the head can be extremely serious. It is quite common for victims of serious head or brain injuries to require extensive treatment, to be seen by a team of doctors, to require extended hospital stays, to require surgery, and to require rehabilitation. Severe concussion victims often experience concussion symptoms for months and even years. Victims who suffer the most serious head injuries end up in comas and some pass away.
Through a personal injury lawsuit you can demand that the negligent party pay your compensation for the thousands and thousands of dollars in medical expenses and other losses that you suffer. Compensable losses include:
- Medical expenses: Emergency room and hospital bills, rehabilitation facility bills, doctor’s and surgeon’s bills, costs of prescription and over-the-counter medication, lab test fees, medical equipment and adaptive technology fees, and the costs of home care.
- Lost wages: Missed weekly, bi-weekly or monthly paychecks. Missed bonuses and promotions. Used sick and vacation days. Lost future paychecks. Loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and emotional suffer associated with your head injury. Decrease in quality of life.
- Wrongful death: Medical expenses of decease related to injury that caused his or her death. Funeral expenses.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a head injury, do not settle with the insurance companies without first contacting an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical and emotional issues associated with head injuries. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced representing clients who have been sustained head injuries and other types of injuries in auto, slip and fall, workplace, and construction accidents. We will work hard to make sure you receive the maximum compensation based on the facts of your case. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.