Queens Speeding Accident Injury
Speeding is one of the top contributing factors in car accidents. In fact, when drivers commit other driving infractions such as running through a red light, driving while impaired, tailgating, or making an illegal lane change, oftentimes the driver is also speeding. While it is easy to speed on highways where the speed limits are high, drivers speed in other areas such as residential or rural areas. Speeding is dangerous because drivers who are speeding have less control over the vehicle and are unable to quickly stop to avoid a collision. In addition, speeding cars exert more energy than cars traveling at slower speeds. This means that when they collide with another vehicle or a pedestrian, the collisions is extremely violent and more likely to be deadly. This means that victims of speeding accidents are more likely to suffer catastrophic injuries such as a traumatic brain injury, amputations, broken or crushed bones, or a spinal cord injury that results in paralysis. These types of injuries involve long recovery times, with the victim being unable to work for weeks or even months. However, under New York law victims of car accidents are allowed to seek compensation from the person whose negligence resulted in the car accident. If you are in need of a New York Injury Lawyer because you or a family member was injured in a car accident where the driver was speeding, it is important to contact an experienced Queens Speeding Accident Injury Lawyer who will help ensure that the person responsible for your losses is held accountable in a personal injury or wrongful death claim.Why is speeding dangerous?
Speeding cars present a hazard to other vehicles for a number of reasons.
- Inability to stop. Cars that are speeding need more time to stop than cars traveling at slower speeds. This means that speeding drivers cannot stop to avoid unexpected changes in traffic, road hazards or pedestrians. The inability to stop is one of the top causes of death on roads.
- Greater impact. The force of a crash's impact doubles with every 10 mile per hour increase in speed at speeds faster than 50 miles per hour. Thus, the risk of suffering a serious injury or dying increases with the higher rate of speed.
- Pedestrian deaths. A car that is traveling at high speed is more likely to kill a pedestrian than a car driving at a slower speed.
- Property damage. The faster a car is traveling the more property damage it is likely to cause.
Victims of speeding are passengers, occupants of other cars, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. Because of the impact of a car that is traveling at a high speed, the injuries tend to be catastrophic, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken or crushed bones
- Face injuries
- Scrapes, bruises, and lacerations
Those injured in car accidents suffer a variety of serious injuries that require extensive treatment. This means substantial medical bills and missed work. However, New York law gives injured victims the right to seek compensation from the negligent party. The types of compensation that you may be able to recover if you file a claim against the negligent person include:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills including bills from the hospital, your doctors, prescriptions and bills associated with medical equipment
- Damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
If a family member was killed in the accident, the law allows the decedent's personal representative to seek damages through a wrongful death claim
Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a claim in a personal injury case. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.Queens Speeding Accident Injury Lawyer
A car accident leaves victims in both physical pain and financial pain. Thus, it is important to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions. If you were injured in a car accident, in order to ensure that your rights are protected, it is important to contact an attorney who not only has experience handing car accidents, but is also familiar with the medical issues victims of such accidents experience. The staff at Stephen Bilkis and Associates has extensive experience representing clients injured in car accidents, construction accidents, truck accidents, as well as other types of accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your car accident.