Bronx Bicycle Accident
Bike riding has become an increasingly popular mode of transportation over the past few decades. It is a great form of exercise. It is a less expensive mode of transportation compared to cars as bikes do not require gas, it is not necessary to pay exorbitant fees for public parking and it is not necessary to pay high insurance fees. However, bikes are not immune to accidents. While there are more car accidents each year than bike accidents, there are still over 5000 serous bike accidents in New York each year. Bike accidents leave victims with serious injuries such as trauma to the head and brain. This can leave the victim with lasting injuries and the inability to work. As a result the entire family of the victim suffers. If you were injured in a bicycle accident that was caused because another person was negligent, contact an experienced bicycle accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries include reimbursement for loss of income, pain and suffering, emotional distress and medical bills.Common causes of bicycle accidents
Just like car accidents or truck accidents, there are a variety of reasons that bike accidents occur. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Doored. The driver of a parked car or truck opens the door just as the bike is approaching, caused the bike to collide with the door.
- Turning. The driver of car turns directly in the path of a bike. This usually happens when the car is making a right turn.
- Sideswipe. The driver of a car or truck sideswipes a bike.
In addition bike accidents are caused by drivers of cars being negligent in other ways such as running through stop signs, speeding, and driving while intoxicated.Common bicycle accident injuries
Victims of bike accidents are more likely to suffer serious, life-altering injuries than victims of car accidents. This is because bikes offer little protection to the cyclist compared to a car. Even a minor accident could result in a serious injury. Common serious bike accident injuries include broken bones, back injury, neck injury, traumatic brain injury, or an injury to the spinal cord.Compensable damages
If you are injured in a bike accident, you have the legal right to pursue compensation from that person or entity whose negligence caused the accident. Depending on the facts of your case, the type of compensation that you may be entitled to includes expenses related to:
- Medical expenses. Emergency room treatment, surgery, hospital expenses, fees for specialists, physical therapy, and medication.
- Pain and suffering. Compensation for the physical and emotional pain you suffered as a result of the accident. The amount of a pain and suffering award is based on the severity of your injuries which is evidenced by your medical records and medical bills.
- Lost wages. The money you lost because you were unable to work.
- Loss of consortium. If you suffered a debilitating bike injury such as an injury to your back, then you may be unable to have a normal physical relationship with your spouse. You can demand compensation for this loss.
If your loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, certain family members may pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim. The compensation that you may be able to recover includes medical bills for the injury your loved one suffered in the accident that lead to his death, lost wages and other benefits lost due to your loved one’s death, and funeral and burial expenses.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
While a bicycle accident may have some similarities to an accident involving only motorists, there are nuances to handling a bike accident that only an experienced bike accident attorney will understand. Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates to discuss the details of your case. Our staff is experienced in handling claims from people injured in bike accidents as well as motorcycle accidents and car accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.