Bronx Car Accident
Whether it is an accident involving an SUV, sedan, minivan, or truck, any automobile accident can leave victims with serious injuries. Such injuries can mean weeks, months, and years of recovery. They can also mean loss of income and serious financial distress. If your accident was caused by the negligence of someone else such as another driver, the law allows you to hold them accountable and demand compensation. If you were injured in an auto accident, contact an experienced Bronx auto accident lawyer at Stephen Bilkis & Associates. We will work diligently to help injured victims recover compensation for all of their losses, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.Auto Accident Liability
Auto accidents are governed by tort law and are based primarily on the principle of negligence. Negligence is defined as the lack of using ordinary care. The test is whether an individual failed to use an ordinary degree of care that a reasonably prudent person would use under similar circumstances. This can include an act or a failure to act.Causes of Auto Accidents
The most common causes of auto accidents are:
- Distracted driver. While any distraction can lead to an accident, nowadays distract driving generally refers to "texting” while driving.
- Road Defects: Potholes and poorly designed roads have led to many serious accidents, including fatal accidents. Government entities have a duty to maintain roads.
- Product Liability. Under product liability law, manufacturers and sellers of products are required to offer products that are safe. Cars that have poor designs or that were not manufactured properly (e.g. faulty ignition switches, faulty tires), can lead to serious accidents and deaths.
- Negligence: Negligent driving refers to drivers not adhering to traffic rules. Examples of negligent driving includes failing to stop at red lights, speeding, tailgating, and driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
- Drunk and Impaired Driving: A significant number of auto accidents are due to drunk driving or driving while under the influence of drugs.
Physical injury and property damages are the most obvious consequences of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, you will also likely have to deal with the financial consequences of the accident. Fortunately, as an experienced Bronx auto accident lawyer will explain, the law allows victims to pursue compensation from the negligent party in a car accident in a personal injury lawsuit.
Auto accidents can cause financial devastation. The medical bills for a serious injuries can easily run into the hundreds of thousands or millions. Even of you do have medical insurance, it may not cover all of it. To make matters worse, as a result of a serious accident, you may not be able to work while your recover. You and your family may end up struggling.
The good news is that with the help of an experienced auto accident attorney in the Bronx, you may be able to recover compensation that will cover not only your medical expenses, but also your lost wages. You may even be able to recover additional compensation for pain and suffering. Pain and suffering damages compensate victims for both of the physical pain of a serious injury, but also the emotional pain. For example, pain and suffering will address permanent disability, depression, PTSD, and other long-term emotional suffering associated with suffering serious injuries.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
After being injured in an auto accident, you may be struggling with recovering from painful injuries as well as facing financial hardship due to mounting medical bills and lack of income. Our team of auto accident lawyers serving the Bronx at Stephen Bilkis & Associates is here to help. We will work tirelessly to get you the best result possible for your auto accident case. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Westchester County, Suffolk County, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, and Queens.