Bronx Medical Malpractice Lawyer
When you or a loved one suffers an injury or an illness, you put your trust in doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals to provide competent medical care. The vast majority of medical professionals do. However, in far too many instances medical professionals provide negligent care. The result of negligent medical care can be that the condition for which you sought treatment can get worse or that other you suffer additional serious injuries. If you were injured due to the negligence of a medical professional, contact the Bronx medical malpractice attorneys at Stephen Bilkis & Associates. We can provide the support and legal guidance you need.Types of Medical Malpractice
Any type of medical professional can commit medical malpractice, and victims can file claims against any type of medical professional such as medical doctors, dentists, chiropractors, nurses, physician assistants, technicians, anesthesiologists, and therapists. Regardless of the medical professional involved, claims of medical negligence falls into three general categories: failure to diagnose, improper treatment, and failure to warn.
- Failure to diagnosis. A failure to diagnose occurs when the doctor fails to diagnosis the patient’s condition. There are two other bases for diagnosis-related medical malpractice. A misdiagnosis results from a doctor making a wrong diagnosis, and a delayed diagnosis occurs when the doctor takes an unreasonable amount of time to make the correct diagnosis. Some commonly misdiagnosed conditions include lung cancer, stroke, pregnancy-related complications, and pneumonia.
- Improper treatment. Improper treatment means that treating medical professional made an incorrect decisions as to how to treat a condition. Examples of improper treatment include surgical errors, failing to ordering necessary surgery, using an outdated treatment protocol, or ordering the wrong diagnostic tests. If you are concerned that your condition was improperly treated, contact an experienced Bronx medical malpractice lawyer.
- Failure to warn. Before starting treatment, the medical professional is required inform the patient of the risks associated with the treatment as well as options. If they still consent to the treatment, the treatment would be informed consent. If you suffered an injury or complication as a result of a treatment, and you would not have agreed to have the treatment if you had known there was potential for that complication, you may have a claim for medical malpractice.
Note that medical decisions only amount to medical malpractice if the actions of the medial professional deviated from accepted medical standards and as a result you suffered serious injuries. If you were injured due to medical malpractice, you have the right to pursue compensation from the negligent medical professional. In fact, in some instances, the hospital or medical facility may also be liable for the following losses:
- Medical bills. The defendant may be required to pay the medial expenses associated with the medical mistake.
- Lost wages, including lost future wages. The amount of compensation the defendant would be required to pay would be based to amount you were earning prior to the medical mistake and your ability to work after the medical mistake.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering damages are based on your emotional trauma experienced as result of the medical mistake. To learn how pain and suffering is measured, contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney in the Bronx.
- Wrongful death. If a family member died due to a medical mistake, their heirs and personal representative can pursue compensation by filing a wrongful death claim.
The exact amount of damages varies from case to case and depends on a number of factors such as the severity of the injury attributable to the medical malpractice.Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you were injured due to the incompetence of a healthcare professional, you may be owed compensation. Contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney in the Bronx at Stephen Bilkis & Associates at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County, and Westchester County.