Bronx Spinal Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered a spinal injury, you know that these types of injuries can turn your life upside down. You may be reeling from the physical effects of your injury and unable to work; all the while medical bills continue to add up. These injuries occur when a traumatic event such as a car accident leads to the damage of cells within the spinal cord or there is a severing of the nerve tracts which transmit signals throughout the spinal cord and there is a resulting loss of function. While many spinal injuries lead to paraplegia, quadriplegia or some other type of paralysis some spinal injuries lead to other types of medical problems including a bulging disk, spinal stenosis, herniated disk or spinal fracture. Our legal staff has discovered each year spinal cord injury appears in an average of 15,000 Americans. Approximately 10,000 of these people will endure permanent paralysis, and many injuries resulting in a wrongful death. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury, it is important that you speak with a Bronx spinal injury lawyer as you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.Symptoms of spinal injuries
Depending on the type of spinal injury, its location and the severity of it, symptoms vary. Examples of symptoms include:
- Loss of movement
- Loss of sensation in any part of the body
- Pain or numbness
- Pressure in your back, head or neck
- Weakness or paralysis in any part of your body
- Changes in sexual function
- Lack of coordination
- Tingling in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Numbness or loss of sensation in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Bladder or bowel incontinence
- Difficulty walking
- Impaired breathing
- Unusual positioning of the head
- Muscle spasms
Damage to the spinal cord can be quite debilitating, leaving the victim in pain, unable to move, with breathing difficulties and other serious health problems. Such serious health problems are accompanied by emotional difficulties and financial problems. Spinal injury victims face expensive treatment that often lasts for years. This can mean missed worked and derailed careers.
To help victims of spinal injuries and other serious injuries the law allows victims to demand payment from those responsible. By filing a claim against the negligent person who caused the accident that left you seriously injured you may receive a substantial amount of compensation to help relieve your financial problems. Such compensation may include:
- Medical bills: Medical expenses such as fees related to your doctors and specialists such as neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon, chiropractor, psychiatrist and therapists; hospital fees; costs of medication; costs related to medical equipment and assistive technology.
- Loss of income: Lost wages and compensation such as your hourly wage or salary; missed promotions and bonuses; missed or lost benefits; loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Physical and emotional pain your endured. This is related to the seriousness of your injury. You will likely receive a more substantial pain and suffering award if you injury is permanent and requires extensive treatment.
While you may be entitled to receive compensation based on a personal injury claim, you may very well be entitled to compensation from workers’ compensation or Social Security disability.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident that resulted in a spinal injury, contact an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical issues associated with spinal injuries. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.