Long Island Premises Liability

A person or company that owns property must take reasonable steps to ensure that property is safe. When they fail to uphold this responsibility and as a result someone is injured, that injured victim can hold the property owner accountable. Unsafe stairs, icy sidewalks, slippery floors, uneven walking surfaces and potholes are typical causes of premises liability matters. Even accidents on the job like a construction accident cases can be caused by dangerous and unsafe conditions. There are many different types of injury result from a slip and fall accident or another type of premises liability accident such as a back injury, head injury, spinal injury, or brain injury. If you or a loved one are suffering from an injury that was caused by a hazard on the premises of another person, it is important to immediately contact an experienced Staten Island premises liability lawyer who will explain to you the process for pursuing a claim against the negligent party.

Types of premises liability accidents

Owners of private, commercial and public property are required to take reasonable steps to make sure that their premises are safe. Common hazards that property owners tend to overlook and that end up causing injury:

  • Broken stairways: Loose steps, broken rails, no handrails, torn carpet
  • Uneven surfaces: Broken pavement, potholes, loose floor boards
  • Negligent security: Poor lighting inside and outside, lack of security where appropriate
  • Wet or slippery surfaces: Spills, improperly waxed floors, ice on sidewalks, driveways and parking lots can lead to slip and fall accidents
  • Debris on the floor: Spills, fallen merchandise
  • Building code or housing code violations

Typically responsibility for ensuring the safety of a premises belongs to the property owner. However, there responsibility may fall on another person or may be shared by multiple people. Examples of people who may be responsible for keeping property free of hazards include:

  • Owner
  • Manager
  • Lessee
  • Landlord
  • Contractor working on the property
  • Another third party
Pursuing damages

If you suffered a serious injury on another person’s property and you believe it was caused by the negligence of another person, then you can hold the negligent person accountable by naming that person as the defendant in a personal injury claim. You can demand that the person pay you compensation for the losses you suffered. Compensable losses include medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.

In order to prevail in your claim, you must have evidence to support your claim that you suffered losses. For example, to prove medical expenses you need to have receipts from payments to your doctor, the hospital, pharmacy, rehabilitation facility and for any other related medical expenses. If you are making a claim for lost wages you need to have evidence from your employer of the pay you lost and of other benefits you lost. If you are self-employed, you must be able to show the revenue you lost while being unable to operate your business.

Evidence of emotional suffering for a pain and suffering claim can be testimony from friends and relatives about your change in personality and mood swings. Evidence from a mental health professional that you are suffering from depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, inability to sleep, anger, or fear would also support a claim for pain and suffering.

Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates

In order to pursue a premises liability claim it is critical that you contact an attorney who has the experience and resources to represent you in your lawsuit. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from slip and fall accidents, trip and fall accidents, and other accidents that result from unsafe premises. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation
1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529)