New York Tetraplegia
Tetraplegia, also known as quadriplegia, is a life-altering condition caused by a damage to the spinal cord. It is a form of paralysis. While tetraplegia can be caused by illness or a brain injury, it is also often caused by trauma to the spinal cord that results from a fall, vehicle accident, gunshot wound, or other type of accident that causes severe trauma to the spinal cord. Other conditions that are caused by damage to the spinal cord include paraplegia, anterior cord syndrome, central cord syndrome and posterior cord syndrome. In cases where the injury occurred in an accident such as a SUV rollover accident, it is often the case that the accident could have been avoided as it was caused by the negligence of another person. If you were the victim of an accident and suffered spinal cord injury that left you a tetraplegic, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced New York tetraplegic lawyer as you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses.Common causes of tetraplegia
Tetraplegia involves paralysis in the legs and arms. It is often referred to as complete paralysis as oftentimes victims with tetraplegia loss function from the neck down, and often are not able to breathe on their own. There are many causes of spinal injuries that can lead to quadriplegia such as:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Auto accidents, particularly SUV rollover accidents, are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. Annually car accidents cause over 40% of new spinal cord injuries in the United States.
- Falls. Spinal cord injury after age 65 is most often caused by a trip and fall accident. However, people of all ages are victims of fall accident, sometimes with catastrophic results. Fall are the second leading cause of spinal cord injuries, account for over 20% of spinal cord injuries.
- Criminal acts. Many spinal cord injuries are caused by acts of violence such as gunshot and knife wounds. Even a grazing injury by a gun or knife can cause serious damage to the spinal cord. Gun-related injuries account for approximately 10% of spinal cord injuries.
- Sports. Sports and other recreational activities account for a significant number of spinal cord injuries. For example, diving into shallow water can cause quadriplegia.
- Medical malpractice. There are cases where the medical error of a medical professional resulted in the patient suffering temporary or permanent paralysis.
As an experienced New York tetraplegia attorney will explain, if your truck accident injuries were caused by another person’s negligence, you have the right to demand compensation from that person. While on occasion, the person at fault will admit fault and offer a fair settlement, more often than not the at fault person will offer a low settlement that is not at all fair to you. Keep in mind that treatment for tetraplegia will be necessary for the rest of your life. You will have complications associated with paralysis and you will need regular therapy. Costs for this can easily exceed $1 million. With the help of a tetraplegia attorney in New York you can demand a fair settlement from the person who caused you injuries.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you are living with the challenges associated with tetraplegia, and it was caused by the negligence of another person, it is important that you are represented by an experienced tetraplegia attorney serving New York. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates has decades of experience winning substantial compensation for victims who sustained catastrophic injuries in car, truck, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.