Staten Island Medical Malpractice
According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins University, medical malpractice may very well be the third leading cause of accidental deaths in the United States. That amounts to approximately 250,000 deaths that would likely have been prevented but for a medical mistake. Not all medical errors are fatal. Thousands of people survive, but suffer serious injuries such as brain injuries, amputations, and organ damage. Errors are made not only by surgeons, anesthesiologists, obstetricians and other medical doctors. Mistakes are also made by naturopaths, dentists, chiropractors, nurses, and other medical professionals. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a medical mistake it is to immediately important to speak with an experienced Staten Island medical malpractice attorney who will review medical records and other facts of your case and explain to you your legal options for pursuing a personal injury claim.Common types of medical malpractice
There are three general types of medical malpractice cases: misdiagnosis, improper treatment, and failure to warn. Some of common types of medical malpractice include:
- Improper treatment: Surgical errors, anesthesia errors, medication errors. Examples of common types of improper treatment include prescribing the wrong medication, performing unnecessary treatment, performing surgery on the wrong part of the body, and failure to monitor the patient. Improper treatment often leads to birth injuries.
- Medical misdiagnosis: Failure to recognize symptoms, delayed diagnosis, misinterpretation of test results, misreading of x-ray. Some of the most commonly misdiagnoses conditions include cancer (breast, cervical, lung, ovarian, prostate and testicular), stroke, meningitis, heart attack and diabetes.
- Failure to warn: Failure to get informed consent from patient prior to treatment.
When a medical professional makes a mistake, a patient may injured in a variety of different ways. For example, the patient may develop a condition that he or she would not have otherwise developed. The patient's current medical condition could worsen. The patient's medical condition may not improve.Pursuing damages for medical malpractice
If the incompetence of a doctor, surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurse, or other medical professional caused you to suffer a serious injury, you have the right to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and demand compensation. Keep in mind that the defendant in your medical malpractice does not necessarily have to be limited to a single physician. Responsibility for your condition could be the fault of not only 1 or more doctors responsible for your care, but also the hospital, urgent care center, or clinic where you received your care. An experienced medical malpractice attorney in Staten Island will determine who should be named as defendants. Through a medical malpractice claim, you can demand payment for the following losses:
- Medical expenses: All past and future expenses related to treating the injury that resulted from the misdiagnosis or improper treatment. For example, if a surgeon accidentally cuts an organ during surgery, you can demand compensation for the medical treatment you had to receive to repair the damage organ.
- Lost wages: A serious medical mistake can mean that you will be unable to work for an extended period of time. As a result you will not receive the income or benefits that you normally receive from work. You can demand payment from the negligent doctor for the wages and other compensation that you lost.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is a type of compensation that is awarded to address the physical pain, permanent injuries, and psychological trauma that often goes along with injuries suffered from a medical mistake.
If you or a loved one was injured due to the negligent care of a healthcare professional, you should contact an experienced attorney who understands the legal issues associated with medical malpractice cases. The medical malpractice attorneys serving clients in Staten Island at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates have years of experience successfully representing individuals injured in accidents, including medical mistakes, auto accidents, slip and fall accidents, and other types of accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.