Staten Island Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycles are dangerous. Motorcyclists must share the road with cars, SUVs, and commercial trucks. Unlike other types of vehicles, motorcyclists are not protected by walls, floors and roofs. Motorcyclists also do not have the benefits of airbags or seatbelts. Thus, when a motorcyclist is sideswiped or rear-ended by another vehicle, motorcyclists often suffer devastating injuries. Such injuries are frequently broken legs and feet, abdominal injuries, head injuries and brain injuries. Some injuries leave the victim with permanent scars, limps, disfigurement and permanent disabilities. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, it is imperative that you immediately contact an experienced Staten Island motorcycle accident lawyer who will work hard to ensure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled.Common motorcycle accident causes
There are many reasons for motorcycle accidents. In the vast majority of motorcycle accidents and auto accidents, negligence was involved.
- Distracted driver: Distracted driving is a leading cause of vehicle accidents. Drivers who are glancing at their phones instead of focusing on the road put other vehicles at risk, including motorcyclists. Drivers sometimes drift into other lanes, run through red lights, and drive in other reckless ways, causing serious accidents.
- Road hazards: One type of road hazard that presents a safety issue for motorcyclists is a pothole. If a motorcyclist travels over a pothole he or she may lose control of the bike and collide with another vehicle or ride off the road. Similarly, if a motorcyclist attempts to avoid a pothole, he or she may end up colliding with another vehicle. Other types of road hazards can lead to motorcycle accidents include debris that falls from trucks and other vehicles, and road construction vehicles, barriers and debris.
- Defective vehicle: Just like with cars, SUVs, and other types of vehicles, motorcycles have been the subject of recalls due to defects. A defect can cause a motorcycle to malfunction and even lead to accidents. When a manufacturing or design defect is the cause of motorcycle accident, the manufacturer of the defective motorcycle or of the faulty part may be legally liable to victims injured because of the defect.
- Negligence: Reckless driving is the leading cause of all types of vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents. Reckless driving can refer to a number of different types of illegal actions and maneuvers such as exceeding the speed limit, failing to stop at a stop sign or red light, and driving while intoxicated.
A motorcycle accident attorney in Staten Island can explain that under New York law if you are seriously injured in a motorcycle accident such a left-turn crash, sideswipe or rear-end crash caused by another person's recklessness, you have the right to file a claim against that person and demand payment for your medical expenses and other losses that you suffered.
- Medical expenses: Motorcycle accidents victims tend to suffer serious injuries in their lower extremities such as broken legs or feet, and amputations. Other common injuries include serious injuries to the head and neck. Such injuries result in thousands of dollars in medical bills. Through a personal injury lawsuit you can demand compensation for both your past and future medical expenses.
- Lost wages: Whether your injury is a broken leg or a brain injury, without doubt you will end up missing work. You can demand compensation to cover the wages you lost as well as other compensation you missed such as bonuses and benefits.
- Pain and suffering. Victims injured due to another's negligence may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, particularly in cases where the victim suffers a permanent, debilitating injury.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident because of another person's reckless behavior, contact an attorney who understands both the legal issues and medical issues associated with injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents. The motorcycle accident attorneys serving clients in Staten Island at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates have years of experience in handling personal injury cases stemming from all types of vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents, car accidents, and truck accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.