Staten Island Broken Bone Injury
Broken bones are among the most common reasons that people go to the emergency room. A broken bone, also called a fracture, occurs when a bone cracks or completely breaks. Broken bones can be the result of a fall, a car accident, a bike accident, or just about any other type of accident. While the most common types of broken bones are fingers, wrists, hands, arms, legs, and feet, any bone in the body can break. For example, a skull fracture occurs when there is trauma to the skull and can lead to other medical problems such as a brain injury. Broken ribs are common to car accidents and recreational accidents. Broken vertebrae involves damage to the small bones that make up the spine. Broken bones leave the victim incapacitated and unable to work. Oftentimes this leads to the victim suffering financial problems. Because broken bones are typically caused by another person's negligence, the victim can sue the negligent person and demand compensation. If you have suffered a bone fracture due to the negligence of another person, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Staten Island broken bone lawyer who will be able to guide you through the process of filing a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent person.Broken bones and accidents
Bones are broken in a variety of types of accidents including:
- Car accidents: Bones are broken often in vehicles accident because of the amount of force that is exerted on the body when two cars collide or when a car hits a stationery object such as a tree or a telephone pole.
- Falls. Even when the fall seems relatively minor such as tripping over a cracked sidewalk, the victim may suffer a broken arm, hand or wrist because people typically thrust their arms forward in an attempt to stop a fall.
- Bicycle and motorcycle accidents: Bones are broken in bike and motorcycle accident because the body is not protected. Thus, when an accident occurs the bicyclist or motorcyclist's body is hit by another vehicle or is thrown violently onto the pavement resulting in broken bones and others injuries.
If you suffered a broken bone in car accident, a fall or some other type of accident because another person acted recklessly or intentionally tried to hurt you, under New York law you have the right to demand that they pay for your medical expenses as well as other expenses and losses that you experienced as a result of your injury.
- Medical expenses. All medical expenses that can be tied to the treatment of your broken bone. This includes both past medical expenses and future medical expenses. Because a broken bone can take a long time heal and can involve complications, your medical expenses may continue well into the future, even after you file your claim for compensation. Thus, it is critical that your broken bone attorney in Staten Island includes a demand for future medical expenses in your demand for compensation.
- Lost income. With an injury as serious and incapacitating as a broken bone, you may not be able to return to work for a while. Meanwhile you will not receive paychecks and accrue other types of compensation. Your missed wages and compensation is a loss that you can demand payment for in your personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering. When a victim suffers a serious injury, the victim will suffer a great deal of physical pain, may face some sort of permanent reminder of the injury such as a limp or scar, and may suffer emotional issues. Because the victim would not have had these issues but for the negligence or intentional act of another person, pain and suffering is a type of compensable loss.
If your injury occurred while you were working, then the injury may be covered by workers' compensation insurance. You must file a claim and adhere to filing deadlines and other rules. Benefits include medical care, weekly cash benefits and vocational training if appropriate.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
Whether you have suffered a broken hand, wrist, left, arm foot, or any other type of broken or fractured bone that was caused by another person, contact our legal team for guidance as you may have the right to compensation or benefits. The broken bone attorneys serving clients in Staten Island at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates are experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from vehicle, slip and fall, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.