Staten Island Back Injury
A back injury is a very painful and debilitating injury. Victims often face a lifetime of chronic pain and compromised mobility. Back injuries can mean more than a painful or stiff back. They can also mean pain in the legs and arms. Back injuries also bring challenging symptoms such as chronic headaches, sleeplessness, dizziness, and nausea. Serious back injuries require extended treatment and therapy, and limit the victim's ability to function both at home and at work. Statistics show that most back injuries result from car accidents. In fact, close to 45% of back injuries are happen in car accidents or some other type of vehicle accident. Often times the accident was not caused by the seriously injured victim, but by another person who acted negligently. If your back was injured in a car accident or another type of accident that was caused by someone else, contact a Staten Island back injury lawyer, who will review the facts of your case and who will explain your legal options for collecting compensation for your injury.Frequent causes of back injuries
Back injuries are one of the most common injuries suffered by accident victims. The most common causes of back injuries include:
- Car accidents. Almost have of traumatic back injuries are caused by auto accidents.
- Construction accidents. Because construction sites are inherently dangerous, if proper safety precautions are not followed then workers can suffer a variety of injuries including back injuries.
- Heavy lifting. Lifting heavy objects can lead to back strains and herniated discs.
- Falls. Whether it is on a slippery floor, or off of a scaffold at a construction site, falls can lead to serious injuries such as damage to the back and spinal cord.
- Sports injuries. Both professional athletes and amateurs often to suffer from back problems from training, being hit in the back, falling or from repetitive motion that puts a strain on back muscle over time.
Back injuries can involve damage to the bones in the back and spine, damage to muscles, damage to the spinal cord, or damage to any of the other parts of the back and spine. Examples of common types of back injuries that result from accidents include bone fractures, slipped or prolapsed discs, pinched or compressed nerves, ligament tears and paralysis resulting from a severe injury to the spinal cord.Pursuing compensation for a back injury
Whether your back was seriously injured in an auto accident, a construction site accident, a fall or some other type of accident, a back attorney serving clients in Staten Island will explain the process for filing a personal injury claim naming the negligent person as the defendant. Through a personal injury filing you can demand compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
- Medical bills. This includes all past and future medical expenses that are related to the back injury that you suffered in the accident, such as bills for visits to your doctor, orthopedic surgeon, physical therapist and chiropractor. It also includes bill for diagnostic tests such as x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, blood tests, and other lab work.
- Lost income. This includes the compensation you missed because you were unable to work. Compensation means your paychecks and benefits from work as well as self-employment compensation.
- Pain and suffering. This includes compensation for chronic pain, permanent disability, depression, sleeplessness, irritability and other emotional suffering.
Under New York law, if your back injury occurred while you were working a construction site, or at any other workplace, you may be eligible for workers' compensation benefits. If your back injury is so debilitating that you are permanently unable to work, you may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits.
An experienced back injury attorney in Staten Island will be able to let you know your options for sources of compensation and benefits. For example, you may be entitled to compensation based on a personal injury claim against one or more people, from workers' compensation, or from Social Security.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you were injured in an accident that left you with a serious back injury, you should contact an attorney who has the experience, knowledge and resources to fight for your legal rights. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.