Staten Island Medical Misdiagnosis
Medical misdiagnosis is a type of mistake made by a medical professional where the medical professional fails to correctly or timely diagnose a medical condition, and as a result the victim suffers and injury. In some cases the doctor fails to find any treatable illness, while in other cases the medical professional makes a fails to correct asses the symptoms or fails to correctly interpret diagnostic tests. As a result the mistake the patient is harmed. Medical misdiagnosis is a serious problem, resulting in brain injuries, organ damage, and other serious conditions. In other cases the victim's condition worsens, while in still other cases the victim does not survive. If you or a loved one was injured due to the misdiagnosis by a medical professional, contact a Staten Island medical misdiagnosis lawyer who will ensure your legal rights are protected.Types of misdiagnosis
- A doctor makes the wrong diagnosis because the doctor did not order the appropriate diagnostic tests.
- Due to defective equipment, the diagnostic test results were inaccurate.
- A medical professional failed to accurately interpret diagnostic test results.
- A correct diagnosis was made, but much later than it should have been.
- Illness is correctly diagnoses, but the underlying cause was not correctly diagnosed.
While it is possible for a doctor to misdiagnose practically any condition, there are conditions that are more frequently misdiagnosed than others including celiac disease, stroke, blood clots, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, heart attack, fibromyalgia, bacterial meningitis, appendicitis, pneumonia, Lyme's disease, diabetes, and cancer.Pursuing medical malpractice damages
A medical misdiagnosis attorney in Staten Island can explain that under New York law if you suffered a serious injury because a medical professional made an error in diagnosing your problem, you have the right to demand that that the doctor, dentist, chiropractor, hospital or medical facility compensate you for the losses you suffered. In the case of medical malpractice, compensable losses are your medical expenses, your lost income, and your pain and suffering.
- Medical expenses. If your condition was misdiagnosed and as a result you suffered a serious injury, you will likely have additional, significant medical bills to treat your worsened condition. You can demand that the negligent medical professional pay those bills.
- Lost wages. This includes past lost income such as missed weekly or monthly paychecks, bonuses, promotions, and other lost compensation and benefits. If you have you are an entrepreneur and have your own business, if you are not able to work your business and produce income, you can ask for compensation based on loss of self-employment income.
- Pain and suffering. Victims who suffer serious injuries because of the incompetence of a medical professional have the right to demand compensation for the physical pain and emotional suffered they experience as a result of the medical mistake.
- Wrongful death. Sadly, thousands of victims die each year due to errors made by medical professionals. If a loved one died, you have the right to hold the doctor accountable through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Victims of medical mistakes often suffer debilitating injuries that are so severe that the victim is not able to return to work. If you are not able to work for at least a year because of your injury, you may be entitled to benefits from the Social Security Administration. The eligibility requirements for Social Security disability are strict and complex. Before filing for benefits, consult with an experienced attorney.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
If you or a family member suffered a serious injury because your doctor failed to properly diagnosis your condition, you should contact an experienced attorney who understands the legal issues and medical issues associated with medical malpractice cases. The medical misdiagnosis attorneys serving State Island at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates has years of experience successfully representing clients in medical malpractice case, birth injury and wrongful death cases. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.