Queens Defective Product
An injury by a defective product can be serious. The fact is thousands of people are hurt every year because of defective medicines, food, cars and toys. A flaw in design, manufacture or labeling can create serious injuries and leave the victim open to large medical bills as well as pain and suffering. If you or a loved one has been injured because of a defective product, the law allows you to seek damages from the product manufacturer, the wholesaler or the product retailer through a product liability lawsuit or a wrongful death claim. This compensation can include reimbursement for lost income if you were unable to work because of your injuries, medical expenses and pain and suffering. If you are in need of a personal injury lawyer because you or a family member was seriously injured by a defective product, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced Queens defective product lawyer who will review the facts of your case and who will aggressively pursue damages on your behalf to compensate you for the losses you suffered.Defective product claims
While almost any product can me manufactured or designed in a manner such that consumers are at risk, some of the most common types of defective product claims include:
- Defective medical equipment: Medical equipment is defective if it is designed or manufactured in manner such that it will cause the use harm. According to the Food and Drug Administration there are well over 1500 categories of medical devices, including implantable devices. Examples of include pacemakers, catheters, syringes, defibrillators, breast implants and artificial hips.
- Defective vehicles: Each year thousands of cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks and other vehicles are recalled by their manufactures because of defects. If a vehicle has a defect that means that there is something about the car that does not meet safety standards or a feature of the car does not operate the way it was intended. In some cases it is unlikely that the defect will lead to injuries, while in other cases defects have led to the loss of life.
- Defective children’s products: Sadly, there are far too many children’s products that are dangerous. Thousands of kids are injured or killed each year by defectively designed or manufactured toys, furniture, clothing, car seats and other products.
- Dangerous drugs: Medication is supposed to help people with their medical problems. However, there are countless cases of drugs that actually harm those who use them. Drugs that have injured individuals include prescription drugs related to smoking cessation, antidepressants, and allergy treatment.
Victims have suffered a variety of injuries from defective products. For example, there have been multiple instances of defective baby strollers. Because of the defects babies have fallen out of the strollers and bumped their heads. These victims may suffer a serious injury to the head or a brain injury such as a concussion.
Victims injured in car accidents due to a defective vehicles have suffered a variety of injuries including back injuries and spinal cord injuries. Victims of defective coffee makers make suffer serious burns in cases where hot water sprayed them.
Victims of dangerous drugs and medical products can suffer a wide range of medical problems. For example, certain antidepressants have been associated with causing suicidal tendencies. A blood thinning drug has been associated with causing uncontrolled bleeding in patients. A diabetes drug has been associated with kidney failure.Pursuing damages
Injuries from defective products can be severe. For example, patients who suffer kidney failure as a result of a side effect for a diabetes drug will face significant health challenges. Treatment for kidney failure can include medication, dialysis and kidney transplant. Victims facing medical crises because a drug manufacturer or distributor failed to warn of a possible side effect, or because toy or consumer product manufacturer poorly designed a product so that it was unsafe, have the right to file a product liability lawsuit to recover damages. Such damages may include:
- Medical expenses including costs of hospital, surgery, doctors, rehabilitation, equipment and medication
- Lost wages
- Loss of future income capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
If you or a loved one was harmed by a defective product, you may be able to recover damages from the manufacturer, the distributor, or even the retailer from where you purchased the product. However, defective product cases are often quite complex, involving a thorough understanding of New York product liability laws. The staff at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates is experienced in handling personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from the use of defective products and has the resources to ensure your legal rights are protected. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.