Westchester County Back Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered a back injury due to a careless or negligent act of another person, you may be wondering what your next step should be. Back injuries can impact every aspect of your daily life, making the simplest tasks difficult, if not impossible. You could be dealing with unexpected and considerable medical bills, and emotional and physical pain suffering. Accidents that commonly lead to back injuries include car accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and fall accidents, and workplace accidents. Some injuries will heal with rest and rehabilitation, while in other cases back surgery may be necessary. Missed time from work, or even losing your job altogether can lead to depression, reduced quality of life, and an undeniable impact on your family members. If your back was injured in an accident that you believe was cause by another person's negligence, contact an experienced Westchester County back injury lawyer at Stephen Bilkis & Associates, who will review the facts of your case and who will explain your legal options.Types of Back Injuries
There are several types of back and spinal injuries that are caused by a variety of accidents. Common back injuries include:
- Herniated discs: Discs provide padding between vertebrae and allow you to bend over and move your spine. An accident can cause a disc to slip out of place, leading nerve irritation and extreme pain.
- Pinched nerve: Also referred to as nerve impingement, a pinched nerve occurs when nearby tissue or bone compresses a nerve in the spine. The result may be pain, tingling, weakness, or numbness.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries is caused by damage to the vertebrae in the spinal cord. Depending on where the damage occurs, spinal cord injuries can lead to another of symptoms such as loss of bladder or bowel control, poor balance, difficulty walking, and numbness in the extremities.
- Paralysis: A severe spinal cord injury can lead to paralysis.
Back injuries can be debilitating and permanent. This means that victims often suffer symptoms for the rest of their lives. Symptoms may include pain, weakness, difficulty walking, and difficulty moving other parts of your body such as your arms. In some cases the symptoms are intermittent, while in other cases the symptoms never go away. Performing every day activities may aggravate the injury. Because a back injury can be life-altering it is important to hold the person whose negligence caused your injury accountable. Through a personal injury lawsuit you may be awarded damages to compensate you for the losses you suffered. As an experienced Westchester County back injury lawyer will explain, compensable losses include:
- Medical expenses: Back injuries typically require multiple visits to the specialists including orthopedic surgeons, chiropractors and neurologists. Because serious back injuries can require lifelong treatment, victims can also demand compensation for estimated future medical expenses.
- Lost wages. With a serious back injury, you may miss days, weeks or months of work, depending on the severity of the injury and treatment required. Even if you are able to return to work, because of the often chronic nature of back injuries, you may have to intermittently miss days and weeks of work. This means that you will not be able to put in your normal hours of work, and therefore your paycheck will be smaller than usual. You may not work enough to earn vacation days or other types of days off. You may miss a bonus or promotion that you otherwise were on track to receive. To learn more about how lost wages are calculated, contact an experienced back injury attorney in Westchester County at Stephen Bilkis & Associates
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering refers to both physical and mental suffering experienced by victims of serious injuries. Victims of back injuries suffer serious pain. Along with such severe, chronic pain come depression, irritability, anger, and a myriad of other emotional issues. Both physical pain and emotion pain are compensable losses.
If you were injured in an accident that left you with a back injury, you should contact an experienced attorney who understands both the legal issues associated with personal injury cases as well as the medical implications of back injuries. The experienced back injury attorneys serving Westchester County at Stephen Bilkis & Associates are experienced in representing victims with back injuries stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, boat, and construction accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: Westchester County, Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, and Suffolk County.