Westchester County SUV Accident
SUVs are extremely popular for a several reasons. One of the top reasons is their size. People like them because they are larger than traditional sedans. They provide more interior room for equipment, luggage, and other things that people need to transport. Because they are large, drivers and passengers feel safer. In order words, people feel that SUVs have a much greater crashworthiness because of their size. Just like sports cards, sedans, and other types of vehicles, SUVs are involved in accidents for a variety reasons. Just like with other types of vehicles victims suffer serious injuries, sometimes permanent injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, back injuries and neck injuries. These serious leave victims with a long road to recovery and rob them of the ability to work. If you have been seriously injured in an SUV accident that you believe was caused by the negligence of another person, it is important that you contact an experienced Westchester County SUV accident attorney to discuss your options for pursuing compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, property damage and other losses you suffered in the accident.SUV safety concerns
While many consumers purchase SUVs because they believe they are safer than sedans, there are some aspects of the ways many SUVs are designed that make them more likely to rollover. The reason is that SUVs tend to have a high center of gravity compared to their base. According to one statistic, nearly 40% of all SUV accidents involve rollovers. In other words they are tall and narrow. In addition, when SUVs rollover their roofs tend to collapse. A rollover combined with a collapsed roof means that victims may suffer catastrophic injuries such as spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, and neck injuries. Sadly, SUV rollover accidents frequently involve fatalities.Personal injury claim
Whether the SUV is involved in a rollover accident or any other type of accident, victims sometimes suffer serious injuries that have an lasting impact on the victim and the victim's family. For example, a brain injury such as a severe concussion can incapacitate the victim for months and months after the accident. Bone fractures take weeks to heal and sometimes have complications making the recovery time even longer. It is not unusual for victims with back injuries to face lifelong pain. The financial impact of a serious injury is significant.
Under New York law victims can demand that the person who caused the accident compensate them for the losses suffered. By filing a personal injury claim, victims can seek compensate for:
- Medical expenses. This includes all past and future expenses related to treating the SUV accident injury such as hospital fees, surgical fees, doctors, chiropractor, specialists, medication, lab tests, medical equipment, physical therapy, psychological counseling and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages. This includes the pay from your job that you did not receive because you were not able to work. It also includes the value of benefits that you missed while recovering as well as the value of vacation and sick days that you used while recovering.
- Loss of earning capacity. If you have to permanently leave your job and are unable to return to the career track that you were once on and as a result you will make less money in your career than you otherwise would have, you can demand compensation for the loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. This refers to both the physical and mental affects of a serious injury. The physical pain is evidenced by the type of injury and the required treatment. The mental pain is evidenced by the type of injury and evidence of mood changes, depression, irritability, and sadness.
- Wrongful death. If a loved died in an SUV accident, compensation may be available through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Determining the cause of an SUV accident may turn on complicated evidentiary issues. Thus, if you have been injured in an SUV accident it is critical to immediately contact an attorney with experiencing handling SUV accidents. Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates to discuss the details of your case. Our staff is experienced in handling claims from people injured in SUV accidents as well as auto accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.