New York City Car Accident
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of accidental injuries and death in New York and across the country. In fact, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles reports that there are close to 300,000 motor vehicle accidents each year in New York, resulting in close to 100,000 injured victims, and 1000 deaths. Most car accidents were caused by some form of negligence. Typically, the negligence involves breaking a traffic rules by speeding, running through a red light, or making an illegal lane changes. Car accident injuries can be serious. One of the most common is a concussion, which is a type of brain injury. Other common injuries include injuries to the back, neck, spinal cord, as well as broken bones. Such injuries are not only physically and psychologically painful, they also can be financially difficult because the victim will likely be unable to work while recovering. To help offset such challenges the law allows victims of accidents caused by another’s negligence to file personal injury claims to demand compensation. If you need a personal injury attorney because you have been seriously injured in a car accident that occurred because another person was negligent, it is important that you immediately contact an experienced New York City car accident lawyer who will work closely with you to ensure that you receive compensation based on your losses.Causes of auto accidents
While there are many reasons for car accidents, most car accidents because someone was negligent.
- Distracted driving: In recent years distracted driving has become a leading cause of car, truck and SUV accidents. Distracted driving usually refers to using an electronic device such as a cell phone to text while driving. However, the use of any type of electronic device while driving to perform any activity is considered distracted driving. Not only is doing so reckless, it is illegal.
- Road hazards: Road hazards such as debris, potholes, uneven pavement and confusing signage can cause drivers to lose control, become distracted, or make unusual maneuvers, ultimately causing an accident.
- Defective vehicle: Each year thousands of vehicles are recalled because of a manufacturing or design defect. Despite efforts to recall faulty vehicles, in some cases victims are still seriously injured or killed in an accident is caused because of a defect, then the victim would have the right to hold the manufacturer accountable though a product liability claim.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is the leading cause of car accidents. Reckless driving can mean speeding, tailgating, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, making an illegal lane change, failing to stop at stop signs, failing to yield, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Tom was driving his compact car in New York City. Without looking Mark pulled his sedan which was parked in a space on the side of the street out of the space into the path of Tom. The two vehicles collided. Tom suffered several serious injuries including injuries to discs in his back, his rotator cuff, and his knee. Treatment for his injuries included physical therapy, surgery and pain medication. As are result of the accident, Tom missed several days of work as a manager in a software company. When he eventually returned, he initially was only able to work part-time. In addition, Tom was not able to play golf—his favorite recreational activity, due to his shoulder injury. Tom sought assistance from a car accident attorney serving clients in New York City to help him recover compensation from Mark.Damages for car accident injuries
Under New York law victims seriously injured in auto accidents can shift the burden of both financial and non-financial losses to the at-fault person. Through a personal injury claim you as the plaintiff can demand that the negligent defendant pay you compensation for your past and future medical expenses, your lost wages and benefits, and your pain and suffering. If a loved one died in the accident, family members have the right to pursue compensation from the defendant a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death damages include funeral and burial expenses, loss of support, loss of consortium and pain and suffering.Contact the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates
Proving negligence in a car, SUV, minivan or truck accident case can present a number of complicated legal challenges. Even if you are unsure who was at fault in your car accident, it is important to not delay in contacting an attorney. The car accident attorneys in New York City at the Law Offices of Stephen Bilkis & Associates have the experience and the resources to vigorously protect your legal rights. We have successfully represented injured clients in personal injury cases stemming from auto, truck, motorcycle, SUV, bike, boat, slip and fall, and construction accidents. Contact us at 1-800-NY-NY-LAW (1-800-696-9529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case. We represent clients in the following locations: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan, Nassau County, Queens, Staten Island, Suffolk County and Westchester County.
- New York City Chain Reaction Accidents Lawyer
- New York City Sideswipe Accidents Lawyer
- New York City Rollover Accidents Lawyer
- New York City Rear-End Collisions Lawyer
- New York City Multi-Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- New York City Head-On Collisions Lawyer
- New York City Failure to Yield Accidents Lawyer
- New York City Cell Phone Accidents Lawyer